My Blog List

Saturday, April 26, 2014

W - WTF!


Today is "W" day at the A to Z Blog Challenge. I have chosen WTF for this installment.

Having been in the military, over thirty years ago, I have been exposed to a plethora of acronyms. They are shorthand for longer names used in official letters and other communication. Some examples would be "TAC" for Tactical Air Command; "SAC" for Strategic Air Command" "USAFE" United States Air Forces Europe; and who can forget "FUBAR" Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition. That last one unfortunately is used a lot, although not usually in official communications.

If you are the kind of person who spends any amount of time on social media you most likely have seen the three letters that is the subject of this blog post. It is used as shorthand for a statement of surprise, shock or amazement. It is perfectly understandable if the profane use of those three letters came to mind. Still, "SHAME ON YOU!"


I have alternative meanings of the three letters WTF. One use is as a descriptor of something that I've read of witnessed first hand. WTF - Way Too Funny. This descriptor fit very well to my account of the time that my beloved spouse and I got deported from Canada. (See my "T-Travel" post in the A to Z Blog Challenge for further information)


Another use for the letters WTF is as an expression of desire. WTF - Want to Fly. I have been a fan of aviation since my days as a young boy. I have always been fascinated with planes and airports and all thing aeronautical. I love to fly. My wife loves being on terra firma. I would love to learn how to fly if I had both the time and the financial means.

So when you read the letters "WTF" please remember that context is everything! Enjoy your Saturday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment