My Blog List

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

S - SENIORITY


This is my second A to Z Blog Challenge that is a day late and a dollar short. My "S" word is SENIORITY. We live in a complicated world. I think that in many instances that we make things more complicated than they need to be.


Last week I completed my 60th revolution around the sun. I am having trouble accepting the fact that I am 60 years old. I don't see myself as a sixty year old man.
I remember as a younger man looking at people who were 60 years old and thinking that they are really old. I also remember thinking that becoming 60 years old is so far off into the future that I don't have to think about turning 60, much less worry about turning 60.

I now qualify for reduced prices at Dunkin Donuts. I can participate in the senior specials at restaurants. Medicare and Social Security are a mere 5 years away. I am moving from the "middle age" demographic into the "senior" demographic. UGH!

So, as I prepare for that inevitable day, in the not too distant future, when I can no longer chew the leather and I am eventual banished to an ice flow like that polar bear on those global warming commercials, I choose to keep things simple.
Things that I thought were so important just a few years ago seem to be less so. Time spent with family and loved ones have taken on more importance. Time itself has become more precious. Time is running out to serve God and others.


On a positive note, I am still happily married to my high school sweet heart and best friend. We have been, and continue to be, very much in love after almost 42 years together as man and wife.
We have raised two wonderful people, a boy and a girl, who now have families of their own. They are people who are devoted spouses and parents. They are people who care deeply about others and have grown to become decent, good human beings. I could not be more proud.
Last, but by no means least, we have four grandchildren. Grandchildren are the reward you get for allowing your children to live through their teenaged years. Grandchildren are a joy that is difficult to put words to. Grandchildren are such a blessing.

Yep! I'm a senior alright! (Insert face palm and groan here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment