My Blog List

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Year That was 2012 or Where have I Been?


     HAPPY NEW YEAR! I sincerely wish for all of you that the year 2013 brings an abundance of health, wealth, and happiness. I hope that the year 2012 is a fond memory and not a painful one.

     When I began to write this post I thought about what to call it. "The Year That was 2012" seemed appropriate. However due to my lengthy absence from the blogosphere it seemed lacking somehow so I added the "Where Have I Been" part. So it is my hope that I can adequately address both parts of the title over ensuing posts.

     The year 2012 was the first full year of my retirement from a 30 year career in law enforcement. I must say that I am truly enjoying my retirement. For one thing, I have been able to spend more time with my beloved SWMBO. I so enjoy being in her company. She is a remarkable woman in so many ways. I am so blessed to be her husband.

     Another nice thing about being retired is the freedom from obligations. I go to bed when I want! I get up when I want! I essentially get to do what I want, when I want! Not a bad deal at all. 

     I have been looking for gainful employment, without much success. I think my search for work has been affected by a couple of things. For instance, the economy has not been conducive to finding work. I haven't been exactly dilligent in the effort either. Also, I am kinda particular about what I an willing to do. I don't want to be in any position of authority like a Court Officer, a Security Guard, a TSA Agent and the like. I don't want to be a supervisor or manager. 
     I would like something around four or five hours per day, two or three days per week, like a courier or auto parts delivery driver, or something like that. So the search continues.

     The year 2012 brought another change. As you know I am rather devout in my faith. I firmly believe in one God, the God of the Bible. I believe that the Bible is God's inspired Word and is true in all respects...without exception.
     Well, around June I was asked by the existing Elders if I would serve as an Elder in the church where SWMBO and I attend. An Elder is a very important position in the church. Other names from the Bible for Elder are "Shepherd, Pastor, Bishop and Overseer." The Elder is responsible for the overall spiritual health of the congregation that he oversees...among other things. 
     After some time in prayer, a conversation with SWMBO about her thoughts on the subject, and a frank discussion with the Elders about some concerns I had, I agreed to serve. It has been an interesting experience thus far serving with my fellow Elders.

     In April our two grandsons came to NH for a visit. They also brought their parents. It was great to see our son and daughter in law. 
    Our older grandson is very afraid of dogs. We have two dogs. By the end of their stay, our older grandson spent the night with us sleeping in the same bed with SWMBO and the two dogs. SWMBO was able teach him how to overcome his fear. We had both boys take turns spending the night at Grannie and Pepere's house. We were ecstatic to have them.

     You may recall that at the beginning of 2012 I set some goals for the year 2012. I achieved some! Partially achieved others and totally failed at the rest. I'll have more to say about that in future posts. Suffice it to say that for 2013 I will try to improve on the goals that I achieved or partially achieved. I will also rededicate myself to achieving those goals that I failed so miserably at.

     Well, I am back and will try to publish more often. I will write more in a couple of days. Thank you for reading my entries and please leave a comment. 

     God bless you in the New Year 2013!

     

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back and nice to see you here! Also like the new layout of your blog.

    ReplyDelete