My Blog List

Monday, January 7, 2013

RANDOM THOUGHTS OF A WANDERING MIND!



Why I Haven't Written - Upon checking my blog statistics I was surprised to learn that I haven't posted a blog entry since February 2012. So where the heck have I been? The fact of the matter is that writing was becoming a tedious chore rather than something I enjoyed doing. Something was going on inside me that was taking all the fun out of writing. I suppose it could have had something to do with adjusting to the new reality of retirement. Maybe it was born out of frustration with my not being able to find a suitable part time job. Whatever the reason, I just did not want to write...so I didn't. 
     I spent my time serving as editor on SWMBO's blog, Life Through Bifocals. My wife is rather talented and has an eye for what to write. Check it out. I have a link to it on my blog page. It really was a labor of love for me.  I love SWMBO...but you knew that if you've been reading my blog.
     Towards the end of the year I began to feel the creative juices flowing again and the desire to write emerged once more. I want this blog to be fun! First, for my readers who are kind enough to take the time to read it. Second, for me to write it. If it's not fun for me to write it, I doubt that it will be fun for you to read it. So let's see how it goes.

Goals for 2013 - Last year I made a concerted effort to NOT make any resolutions. Instead I set some goals for myself. How did I do? Well, I learned that there's little difference between "Goals" and "Resolutions," at least that's how it worked out for me.
     Weight/Exercise - I wanted to lose weight and increase my physical activity. I did lose some weight, but not as much as I need to. I also wanted to move more and I did, again, not the the extent that I envisioned. So these two goals get carried over into 2013. I'll try to keep you posted as to my progress.
     Brain Exercise - I set a goal to read twelve books in 2012. I read eleven and am two thirds through the twelfth book. I will read thirteen books in 2013. 
     I also set a goal to learn New Testament Greek. I did not meet this goal in any significant way so this goal also carries over into 2013.
     Spiritual Life - I set a goal to read the entire Bible chronologically in 2012. I further purposed to become a better Christian man, to become the man who God created me to be. I made significant strides towards meeting this goal. I did spend more time in prayer and meditation. I read more of the Bible than I had in past years but I did not read the entire Bible. This goal carries over to 2013. 
     As I mentioned in my first post of 2013, I was appointed to serve as a church Elder in September of 2012. It's a responsibility that I take very seriously because God takes it very seriously. 
     Of necessity, to perform my duties as an Elder it requires much time spent reading the Bible, much time in prayer and concentrating on the spiritual aspects of life, not just mine but those in the congregation who I oversee as well. 
     I still have a long way to go, but I am well on my way, and I am blessed to serve with four other very capable, patient, exemplary men who are assisting me on my journey. 

The National Hockey League - The NHL Players Association and the NHL Club owners are the living examples of "It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission." There has been a lockout and therefore there has been no NHL Hockey games this year. A pox upon both their houses!
     I'm given to understand that they have reached a tentative agreement and the lockout is over. They anticipate playing a 50-game season. A statement said that they were going to try to figure out how to make it up to their fans and sponsors. Good luck with that! 
     As far as this hockey fan is concerned I will be boycotting the rest of the season. I call upon all like minded hockey fans to join me in my boycott. If everyone who reads this blog joins my boycott, that will be about ten seats that won't get filled for the remainder of this season! That'll teach 'em! That should bring them to their knee's begging for forgiveness!

     Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. Please leave a comment...tell me what you think! God bless you all in this New Year!  
     

1 comment:

  1. Love the top photo and thank you for the shout out. I have always enjoyed your blog and your stories. No hocky! Wow, we will get more time together. Win-Win

    ReplyDelete