My Blog List

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

PRE-TURKEY DAY HODGEPODGE!



     Good morning to everyone out there in Wednesday Hodgepodge land. Summer has definitely gone bye-bye here in the Granite State. Temperatures have become more seasonable, that is, cold. I was compelled to start the pellet stove to heat the house thereby officially kicking off the 2017/2018 heating season. My beloved SWMBO was happy that the house was nice and toasty. I am happy that SWMBO was happy. Happy wife...happy life!
     Thank you Joyce Daley for another Wednesday Hodgepodge. I am thankful for these weekly essay questions. And now....the Hodgepodge.  

1. What takes you out of your comfort zone?
     Crowds! I do not like standing-room-only type crowds. That's why I do not like Christmas Shopping. I hate the rude people who bump into you, push you, cut in front of you and who are generally unpleasant. 

2. Your least favorite spice?
     My least favorite spice is Nutmeg. SWMBO loves a few sprinkles of Nutmeg in her eggnog. I do not.

3. What's a small change you'd like to make?
     There are so many changes I would like to make. I am a seriously flawed individual. Where do I begin? Perhaps one small change I would like to make is to complete one more blog per week in addition to the Wednesday Hodgepodge.

4. Do you enjoy visiting historic homes? If so, of the homes you've visited which one was your favorite? What historic home near you is open to visitors? Have you been? Southern Living rounded up eleven of the best in the southern part of the US and they're as follows-

Monticello (Jefferson's home in Virginia), Nathaniel Russel House (Charleston SC), Swan House (Atlanta), Ernest Hemingway's home (Key West), The Biltmore (Vanderbilt home in Asheville NC), Mount Vernon (Washington's home in Virgina), San Francisco Plantation (Garyville, Louisiana), Windsor Ruins (Port Gibson Mississippi), Longue Vue House and Gardens (New Orleans), Whitehall (Palm Beach FL), and Pebble Hill Plantation (Thomasville GA)
     I do enjoy visiting historic homes. I love history. We have a home called Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborogh, NH. It was built in the early 20th century by a wealthy industrialist with innovations way ahead of its time such as central vacuuming, ammonia brine refrigeration and intercom systems. Another historic home is the poet Robert Frost's Farm in Derry, NH.

Have you been to any on the list? Of the homes listed which would you most like to visit?
     I have not visited any of the listed historic homes. I would love to check out Monticello. I am a huge fan of Thomas Jefferson. I also would love to visit Mount Vernon, the home of our first President.

5. What's something you think will be obsolete in ten years? Does that make you sad or glad?
      There are a couple of things that I think will be obsolete in ten years. One would be incandescent light bulbs. It seems to me that LED lights will replace them for better or worse. Another thing that quite possibly will be gone is cable TV. A lot of people are cutting the cable and turning to online streaming services where they can choose what they want and only pay for what they want. These streaming services such as HULU, Netflix, etc, will become more popular as greater bandwidth becomes more available. 
     I am not sad or glad about either prospect.
    
6.  Insert your own random thought here.
     With Thanksgiving Day being just over a week away I thought that I would share a few things that I am thankful for. First and foremost I am thankful for the God of the Bible who has lavishly blessed me in my life. My salvation is dear to me and will be throughout all eternity. 
     Next, is my beloved SWMBO. She is my next greatest blessing. She has been my friend, my partner and my greatest joy for over 45 years. 
     I have been blessed with two wonderful children who have grown up to be wonderful adults and parents. I have been blessed with four wonderful grandkids. 
     I have a nice home. I love where I live here in NH, notwithstanding the harsh cold winters.
     I have a wonderful church family of devoted christians who excel at showing love to each other and the world around us.
     Last, and by no means least, I am blessed to live in the greatest country on the planet. Despite our faults, and there are many, we are at our core a noble people. Many foreigners leave their native land to come to this country, often at great risk to themselves, to enjoy the blessings of liberty and to build a better life for themselves and their families. 
     This list is not complete by any means. As I have mentioned many times, I am lavishly blessed and the foregoing are just a few examples.



3 comments:

  1. That's a lovely list of thankfuls. I enjoyed reading your HP and hope you get to see Monticello one day. It is SO interesting! Mt. Vernon is nice, but Monticello is far superior (in my mind). Wishing you and your dear wife a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crowds....that's a great answer! I agree with Lynn, I like nutmeg on my eggnog too. You're right on the light bulb and if cable was smart they would drop their prices. Love your random.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your list. It feels especially important this year to focus on all we have to be grateful for. I like a little nutmeg in my eggnog too. And now I'm wishing I had a cup of eggnog!

    ReplyDelete