My Blog List

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

A POST THANKSGIVING DAY HODGEPODGE!


     Good morning to all and to all a good morning. I hope that you all had a blessed and memorable Thanksgiving holiday. Are you sick and tired of turkey leftovers yet? SWMBO and I spent the dat with some dear friends who live close by. Thank you Doug and Linda for your hospitality and great food.
     Thank you Joyce Daley for your weekly series of questions. Thank you for your Wednesday Hodgepodge and for granting us fellow Hodgepodgers the privilege of participating. Here is this week's episode. I hope you enjoy you visit.

  
1.  What's something blogging has taught you about yourself?
     I have learned that I write better than I speak. I think the reason why is that with my writing I can revise and extend my remarks. I can think and evaluate more fully what I commit to paper. When I speak I only have one shot to get it right. Once it is spoken, it is out there, unpolished and often times flawed. Blogging has clearly taught me this truth.

2.  Leftovers...are you in the 'reheat and eat' camp or the 'put them in the fridge until they spoil and then toss them' camp? What's your favorite thing to have leftover? What can you not abide as a leftover?
     I am in the heat and reheat camp. I also sometimes eat leftovers such as Turkey or meat cold. Another thing that I like eating cold is my meat stuffing. It makes a wonderful tasting sandwich.
     That said, I have left things in the fridge so long that they turned into an awful, moldy, space alien like substance. EWWW! 
     My favorite leftover is chinese/shepherd's pie. I don't know about what I cannot abide as a leftover.

3. 'Me time'...your thoughts?

     I love being with people. I am also one of those people who are comfortable in their own company. Many years ago I was told that boredom is self inflicted. I believe that is true. We have all manner of things to stimulate us when we are flying solo. I like to read, play music, and watch TV to name a few. I also like to sit alone and just observe nature and get lost in my thoughts or spend time in prayer. Boredom is indeed self inflicted.

4. When people come to you for help, what do they usually want help with?
     The reasons why people come to me for help are as varied a the people. Sometimes it for advice for a personal problem. Some times it is a question about a teaching in Scripture or my opinion on something they heard or read about a teaching in Scripture. 
     I seldom get consulted on home repair or automotive issues due to my lack of skill in those disciplines.

5. If your childhood had a smell what would it be? Tell us why.
     My childhood would smell like onions frying in a cast iron pan. Our house often smelled of onions cooking. My grandmother, who did most of the cooking, almost always began by peeling, slicing and cooking onions.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
     I can hardly believe that the year 2017 is almost done, but a quick glance at the calendar confirms that it is. It is at this time of year that I look back and think about my year. I think about goals that I have achieved and the goals I have fallen short of achieving. I think about the New Year and what goals that I want to achieve. Some goals will be carry overs from this year. Other goals will be new.
     Being a seriously flawed individual I have a lot of room for improvement. I am not perfect and let me add as an aside that those of you who seem to be perfect who seem to have everything together are particularly annoying to those of us who aren't and don't.
     How about you? Have you achieved all of your goals for 2017? Are you thinking about your goals for 2018?  
     I urge you to set reasonable, achievable goals and to work towards them. Do not spend your life wandering through it aimlessly. Set at least one goal and take steps to achieve it and then set another goal.
    Have a great week!



5 comments:

  1. I love the smell of onions cooking, but don't like the lingering scent of cooked onions. I likely write better than I speak too. I do think blogging has helped me cement some of my thoughts about current events and the world we're living in, which makes talking about them with someone easier. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onions cooking does provide an amazing scent. Throw in some peppers and tomatoes and I immediately think of my dad. I enjoyed your answers and I agree with your answer to #1. I also write better than I speak for all the same reasons. Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true about writing vs speaking. I am a big fan of cold meat, especially steak. Well onions is a bit different but a good smell when your hungry. Thank you for your random.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am not perfect and let me add as an aside that those of you who seem to be perfect who seem to have everything together are particularly annoying to those of us who aren't and don't." THANK YOU! I find those type of people annoying as well.

    The onion smell, add a few potatoes and you've got a smell from my childhood. Mom liked to fry potatoes and onions together. Smelled great and tasted great.

    Thanks for such a great post. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your answer to #1 as I totally agree with that - so many times I've wished I had a delete button on my spoken words. Thanks for visiting my blog, Days of Fun

    ReplyDelete