My Blog List

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A THANKSGIVING DAY GOBBLE! GOBBLE! HODGEPODGE!


     HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone! I sincerely hope that your holiday will be a blessed and memorable one. This is a special time of reflection and expressions of gratitude for the blessings all of us have received in life. I believe that everyone has been blessed to some extent so everyone has something for which to be thankful.
    Also, with the arrival of this holiday and the ensuing shopping orgy, the annual meeting of the Ebenezer Scrooge Admiration Society is called to order. BAH! HUMBUG! Come on, say it with me, BAH! HUMBUG! (See question #6 for more info on the Society)
     Thank you Joyce for another Wednesday Hodgepodge. So now, let us begin...
     
1. Tradition...how tightly do you cling to tradition when it comes to holiday gatherings and celebrations? For instance do you always do the cooking, never eat at home, always go to grandma's, never miss the parade, always watch football, never change the menu, always eat at 2 PM, etc.? Have you ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving away from hearth, home, and family? How did that feel?
     It has been my experience that tradition, like life, is fraught with change. SWMBO and my holiday tradition(s) are different now that we are empty nesters than what they were when we had children growing up. Some things have not changed. We always have meat stuffing and turkey with all the trimmings. We watch the parades, football or binge watch a series of movies or a television show. We always find time for a nap, to name a few.
     We have celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas away from home at one time or another. It felt different, unusual and awkward. 

2. Help...is it easy for you to ask for help or are you a do-it-yourselfer? How is that a good/bad thing?
     It is not easy for me to ask for help. I have swallowed my pride from time to time and was forced to admit to myself that I was not capable to deal with the situation at hand and have asked for help. This usually involved a repair or other task where my skills were lacking. 
     I also tend to carry my own water on most personal issues. However, I have consulted with those more wise than me from time to time. 
    
3. Abundance...what is there an abundance of in your kitchen?
     The color red. SWMBO loves a dark shade of red and painted the kitchen counters and cabinets red a few years ago. 

4. Name...the smallest thing you're thankful for? the biggest?
     Here is the little thing that I am thankful for. A few years ago SWMBO gave me a flashlight on a lanyard. At the time I laughed and told her that I would never use it. I was wrong. This light has come in handy more times that I can mention. I am thankful for that little light. 
     The biggest thing that I am thankful for is my relationship with the God of the Bible and for my beloved SWMBO.

5. Key...What do you think is the key to living a more grateful life?
     The key to living a more grateful life is understanding that you have been the recipient of grace. There have been times when you did not receive what you deserved, but were given grace instead. 
     This is the essence of the Gospel. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death. While we were sinners God sent his Son to die for us and pay our penalty for our sins. He died, was buried and was raised. Now, because He lives, we likewise live.
     My gratitude for this grace from God, and the grace that I have received from others compels me to live a grateful life.

6. State your own random thought here.
     Several years ago I founded the Ebenezer Scrooge Admiration Society. It is born of the attitude Ebenezer Scrooge had about Christmas. He clearly articulated his views in the classic story A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Scrooge said Christmas was a Humbug! He opined that it was a false and commercial holiday. A cursory look at the way Christmas is celebrated today would seem to confirm old Scrooge had a point.
     The so called Christmas shopping season seems to expand every year. All you see on from mid November to New Years Day are ads for all manner of material stuff. The true purpose of the holiday is often missed or ignored in all the commercial hubbub. 
     I urge all of us to return to and reflect on the real meaning of Christmas. Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards all. The gift of Immanuel, God with us and the salvation that He extends to whosoever will!
     Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!


3 comments:

  1. It is just Mark and I this year. It will be different but the meal will always be the same! I'm glad you like your flashlight. My husband seems to collect flashlights like I collect ornaments. Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some stores had Christmas out before November rolled in. Im not an early shopper or a Black Friday shopper either. We won't start Christmas decorating until Thanksgiving is past. Wishing you and your sweet wife a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am late getting around to all the posts since we have had company for a few days but I enjoyed reading your answers and agree with your #5 especially. God bless!

    ReplyDelete