My Blog List

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

AFRICA HOT HODGEPODGE!



     It is Hump Day already! I can hardly believe it. Our Hodgepodge Mistress, Joyce Daley, has come up with another series of interesting questions. Pop on over to her blog page, "From This Side of the Pond," and follow the simple directions on how to participate and join in on the fun. You will meet amazing people who also participate. Now onto the Hodgepodge...

1. How did you welcome the month of July, and tell us one fun thing you did to celebrate the 4th. (or the weekend for any non-USA residents playing along today)
     My beloved SWMBO and I began the Month of July with the celebration of 44 years of wedded bliss together. We are truly blessed! We then decided to get Summer colds. I got over mine quickly. SWMBO is still fighting hers due to her compromised immune system. To celebrate Independence Day, we went food shopping and grilled some animal flesh in the spirit of the Holiday.

2. Right now..what's your favorite red thing? white thing? blue thing? 
     My favorite red things are the questions of this Hodgepodge. My favorite blue things are the answers. My favorite white thing is the page upon which they are written.

3. Wave the white flag, raise a red flag, fly your freak flag...which 'flag' have you flown most recently? Explain. 
     I never surrender so the white flag is out. As hot as it is today, a red flag of warning might be appropriate. No, I'm gonna let my freak flag fly as I often do! Why? I'm glad that you asked. When people think you're crazy you have a wider latitude of what you can get away with.
4. According to Cond Nast Traveler these are the seven best places to visit in July-

a boat safari in Botswanna's Okavango Delta, Riviera Maya Mexico (it's whale shark season and apparently you can swim with them), Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, Pamploma Spain, St. Petersburg Russia, the Fuji Rock Festival at Mount Naeba Japan, the Salzburg Festival in Salzburg Austria

If time and money weren't factors would you want to see any/all of these? Which would you most like to see and why? 
     With the exception of Mexico and Russia I would go for doing the rest, if time and money were not factors. I believe that for a  retired American police officer, Mexico and Russia would not be welcoming and may be downright dangerous, so no thank you. There are plenty of other places, safer places around the globe.

5. Grilled cheese, pimento cheese, or mac and cheese...your favorite from the cheesy treats listed? 
     Grilled cheese, please! I would like tomato, onions, pickles on my sandwich too if you please.

6. What makes you sweat? 
     In these "Africa Hot" temperatures, simply breathing makes me sweat. Standing in front of the congregation preaching a sermon or teaching a Bible Class also makes me sweat regardless of the ambient temperature.

7. Your favorite movie with a 'patriotic' theme of some sort?
     "13 Hours, the Men of Benghazi" is my new favorite. These brave warriors risked everything to protect and save their fellow citizens, many of whom did not want them around before the hostilities began.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
     I often use the Random Thought to vent my spleen over some travesty from government, politics, etc. Today I will not. Today I pay tribute to my fellow citizens who are wearing, or have worn, a uniform in service to "We the People." Whether that uniform be from one of the military services or if it be a police, fire or EMS uniform, I pay honor to you...and you know who you are! 
    Throughout our history, we as a nation have been blessed by God with special men and women who sacrificially give of themselves to protect us from those who would do us harm or to execute violence on our behalf upon those who have done us harm. They ask nothing in return and simply see it as their duty. They act out of gratitude for the blessings of liberty that this nation affords them. I say, THANK GOD FOR THEM ALL! 


5 comments:

  1. You have the most interesting answer to #1 of any I've read! I hope SWMBO gets rid of her cold, soon.
    Yes, speaking in front of a group tends to make the speaker sweat. God bless you for doing so, though.
    That's a great random thought, today, and I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for YOUR service, too! I never surrender either! LOL Sorry about the summer colds. I have finally stopped coughing so consider mine gone after nearly 4 weeks. Glad yours didn't last that long! I enjoyed your HP!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am so grateful for those willing to serve and protect. I love your red, white, and blue answer : ) Happy Anniversary! Wishing you many more happy years together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been praying for your wife. Your grilled cheese sandwich sounds yummy. We just watched that movie and it was very good.

    ReplyDelete