My Blog List

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

HUMP DAY, AKA WEDNESDAY, HODGEPODGE! ! !


     Another Wednesday, another Hodgepodge! Please, join in on the fun! You won't be sorry that you did!

1. When the children of today grow up, what do you think they'll say about this period in time? What do you most hope they remember?
    Well, when they are grown and after the great electro-magnetic pulse from a huge solar flare will have hit the earth and knocked out everything electronic and electric, they will say "I remember when we had enough electricity to power a gazillion personal gadgets. Oh, by the way, throw another log on the fire...your mother's getting cold!"

2. National Teacher's Day is celebrated in the US of A on the first Tuesday in May, this year May 7th...share how a particular teacher positively impacted you.
     I had two teachers who made a positive impact. I had a Latin II teacher who instilled in me a love of language, Roman culture and history. We read Julius Caesar's commentary on the gallic war...great stuff. 
     The other, was my American History teacher in my Junior year in High School. He emphasised critical thinking and looking beyond the pages to try to discern what motivated people to act as they did and what really happened and how it affected us as a nation! I have loved American History ever since.

3. What's a dish your mama made, that if set in front of you today would whisk you right back to childhood?                                                                      
     Chinese Pie always makes me nostalgic for those halcyon days of my youth! Mom made a great Chinese Pie!

4. Mother May I was a game we played when I was growing up...no pieces, parts, or plugs required. What games from childhood do you remember loving that were also pieces, parts, and plug-free?
     Hide-and-Seek! We would run through back yards, jump over picket fences, climb tree's and hide atop roofs. It was great fun, especially after dark!

5. Besides your own mother, tell us about a woman who influenced you as a child?
     My maternal grandmother, my beloved memere! She was a devout Catholic, help mold my character and spoiled me to the consternation of my older brother and sister. She was a good, saintly, woman. She was a wonderful woman!

6. Mamma Mia! What's the best play or musical you've ever seen?
     SWMBO, our kids and I went to see the Phantom of the Opera. We fell in love with the music. We also saw the Les Mis movie recently and were equally moved.

7. What are three smells that make you feel nostalgic?
     (1) The smell of onions cooking, whether with a pot roast or hamburg being saute'd; (2) The smell of fresh popcorn and melted butter; (3) The smells associated with a carnival, Cotton Candy, Candy and Caramel Apples, Hamburgs and Hot Dogs cooking on a grill. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
     I don't understand how people can come to the point where the idea of kidnapping three girls and holding them against their will for ten years gets to point where it sound like a good idea. I have been following the revelations about the three girls in Cleveland, OH, who were kidnapped and kept in a boarded up house a few miles from where they were kidnapped. 
     I shudder to think of the evils that they were subjected to over the years and how they are going to come to terms with what happened and resume some semblance of a normal life. How do you give back the time or the person-hood that they had robbed from them? 
     I pray God's blessings upon these young ladies and their families as they begin their new lives together.
     I further hope that the peices of human flotsam that perpetrated these acts gets everything that they have coming to them!

1 comment:

  1. It makes me ill to hear what they went through. It makes me ill to know that those neighbors never knew. How terrible.
    Carnival smells, like beach smells are sure nice to smell.

    ReplyDelete