My Blog List

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

GUNS, ECONOMICS & COMMON SENSE


     How did you like the president's State of the Union address? Frankly, I didn't have the energy to watch it. My lack of energy did not prevent me from reflecting on a few issues that is affecting this country in significant ways.



     Consider the City of Chicago, Illinois. Last year that major American city had a record year for the number of homicides committed with a firearm. Most of them were gang and/or drug related. In effect, children are killing children to protect either their turf or their drug territory. 
     How many of these murderers do you suppose scrupulously followed the law and obtained their firearms legally? I mean, how many do your suppose properly identified themselves and passed a background check before they obtained their firearms of choice? I don't suppose very many!
     What is the City of Chicago's response to address this murderous problem? Mayor Rahm Emmanuel wants to pass more, restrictive, gun laws.
     Instead of making it possible for the law abiding citizens to be able to protect themselves by legally owning firearms, the public servants want to pass more laws to stop people who don't observe the ones already in force by passing more laws that they will no doubt ignore too.  
     Chicago is just one of many American cities facing this problem, most of which are trying to solve it by following Chicago's example. Lunacy! Unadulterated lunacy!



     I understand that President Obama is calling for raising the federal minimum wage law to $9.00 per hour. The president, with all due respect, is dismissing economic history. Every time that the minimum wage law has been raised in the past, there has been a reduction in the number of minimum wage jobs. The fact is that raising the cost of labor results in employers buying less of it. 
     Under the current condition of the economy where unemployment is running at 7.9 percent, the president is espousing a policy that will inevitably raise that level.
     Let me give you a practical example. I like walnuts! I like them on my ice cream, I like them on my salads and I like them on my jello. The price of walnuts has almost doubled in recent months, consequently, I don't buy walnuts.
     Employers buy labor to get things done that they need to get done to operate their particular businesses. If the cost of buying that labor costs more than employers can afford, then employers will likewise buy less of it. This is in addition to the labor that they cannot afford to buy because of the added prohibitive costs associated with the misnamed Affordable Care Act, AKA Obama Care!



     Now here is the common sense part. If we as a nation are to successfully address the problems plaguing us, we must accept the facts as they are, not as we may want them to be. 
     Above are just two examples where elected leaders are not seeing things as they truly are, but rather as they want them to be. As a result, their solutions are doomed to fail. They will not solve the problem, they will inevitably make it worse! Lunacy! Unadulterated lunacy!

     What do you think? Leave a comment below and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment