My Blog List

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

LATE NIGHT & BASEBALL!


     
     A very pleasant Wednesday to all of you. I hope that this 74th anniversary of the Allied Forces storming the beaches of Normandy finds you to be well. 
     Can you believe that it has been just about three quarters of a century since the events of D-Day? I recommend that you watch Darryl F. Zanucks epic movie "The Longest Day." This movie tells the story of the invasion from the perspective of the Allies and the Nazis. 
     Well, enough history for today. We have a Wednesday Hodgepodge to get to. Thank you Joyce Daley for another challenging set of questions. I urge you budding writers out there to join in on the fun. Go to "From This Side of the Pond" to learn how you can participate. And now...the Hodgepodge!  
      1.Describe your 30's in one sentence. If you're not yet 30 tell us one thing you hope to accomplish once you hit that particular decade.
     My 30's was a great time of my life. SWMBO and I were still young. Our kids were young, but old enough to do things with that all of us could enjoy. The 30's had its hard times but I remember it as a mostly joyful time.

2. Is it harder for you to exercise or eat healthy?
     Yes! It is hard for me to exercise and eat healthy.
 
3. June 7th is National VCR Day. Huh? Anyway this reminded me of something I saw on Facebook listing household items we no longer have and the VCR was on it. I couldn't put my hands on that list, but found another list here of 21 items we all had ten years ago, but which are now obsolete-

bookshelves (WHAT!!???), drip coffee makers, alarm clocks, file cabinets, desktop computers, printers, printed phone books, answering machines, fax machines, paper shredders, a Rolodex, CD racks, CD burners, china cabinets, home phones, entertainment consoles, DVD players, calculators, takeout menus, incandescent light bulbs, and cable TV

Your thoughts? How many on the list do you still have? Still use?

     What do you mean, no longer have. SWMBO and I still have, AND use...bookshelves, alarm clocks, file cabinets, desktop computers, printers, answering machines, paper shredders, CD racks, china cabinets, a home phone, DVD Players, calculators, takeout menus, incandescent light bulbs, and cable tv. 
     Does that mean that we're Luddites?

4. What's something you see disappearing in the next ten years?
        My mind! The only thing is, however, I do not think that it will take ten years for that to occur.
 
5. How did you celebrate your birthday this past year? Is that typical?
      SWMBO gave me a nice greeting card with an additional personal message that she composed. We then went out to eat and one of our favorite restaurant. It is what we typically do.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
     I am a baseball fan. My favorite team is of course the Boston Red Sox and whoever is playing the Yankees. 
    This month SWMBO and I were able to take in a game of our local Double A baseball team, the NH Fisher Cats, a farm team of the Toronto Blue Jays. (They beat the Red Sox Double A team, The Portland, Maine, Sea Dogs...in case you were wondering who won.)
     On Monday, I returned home from a church business meeting at around 8:45 p.m. I noticed that a game between the San Francisco Giants and the Arizona Diamondbacks was being televised on ESPN beginning at 10:00 p.m. I decided to watch and score the game. I do so enjoy scoring a baseball game. The game ended after 1:00 a.m. The Giants won, in case you were wondering.
    On Tuesday morning I was very, very, very tired. I seem to have forgotten that I'm getting too old for this stuff. But I do love baseball! Enjoy your week.



4 comments:

  1. I've never been a night owl, but I'm especially not one now! My daughter and her fiance are going to two Red Sox games later this month. His family gets tickets every year and she has become something of an expert on the roster and line up : ) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can try harder to eat healthy. I know, I think most of us in a certain age group still have these items. I'm not letting go anytime soon. Sounds like a perfect birthday. I'm glad that baseball brings you pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our date night was great fun, we had great seats and the weather was nice. I enjoy our date nights and sharing fried dough. SWMBO

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. You must be a New Hampshire-ite like me, as the Fisher Cats Stadium is an hour 15 from my house! Love my Red Sox!
    I too find things more challenging as I get older. Oh well, beats the alternative!

    ReplyDelete