My Blog List

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

MAY DAY PARADE HODGEPODGE!

    Good morning world! Yesterday having been "May Day" I remember that during the late 20th century the communist nations would have a parade with all their military might on display, showing all the world the great achievements of communism and putting the world on notice that they are not to be trifled with.
     Another May Day is in the history books for another year. That brings me to today, Wednesday, May 2nd, the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Thank you Joyce Daley for another bunch of questions. So, without further ado, ladies and gentlemen...the Hodgepodge!
      
1. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Is there a flower you associate with a particular memory? Explain.
     I am a flower person by marriage. Otherwise, I have no interest. My beloved SWMBO loves carnations so, I guess, I do too. I do not have any memories associated with flowers.

2. Last time you helped someone? Tell us how.
     The last time I helped someone was a couple of  Sundays ago. Our preacher had to go out of town and needed someone to teach his Bible class and fillthe pulpit. I covered both things for him so he could take care of his personal business without worrying about things here.

3. It's National Salsa Month (the food, not the dance) so tell us, do you like salsa? Hot, medium, or mild? Homemade, store bought, or from your favorite restaurant only?
     I do like salsa. My preference is for medium hot salsa. I prefer store bought salsa and my favorite brand is Newman's Own.

4. When I was twelve years old...
     ...I think that I was in the sixth grade. Lyndon Johnson was president of the United States.  The Vietnam War was in full swing. My best friend was Roger. I played first base and center field for my Little League baseball team. My affection for the Red Sox was in its infancy. They continued to get our hopes raised that this was the year that they break the curse of the Bambino only to dash them upon the rocks of reality. It was a more innocent time.

5. It's the first of May so let's run with it-first things first, don't know the first thing about it, first dibs on something, first impression, first rate, first cousin, first string, first come first served, at first light-which phrase can best be applied to something in your life currently or even recently?
     First thing first for us. SWMBO and I are in the process of refinancing our home. It is a step by step process and nothing is easy. We will hopefully get through the process soon and close on the new loan.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
     On Monday we had the water line from our artesian well to the house replaced. The old water line had become brittle with age and was cracked in a few places. You may recall we discovered a water leak in February which had to be dug up and spliced to get us through the rest of the Winter months.  
     This time they dug a fifty foot trench from the well to the house using a small excavator. The whole job took about four and a half hours.  The new water line should last forty to fifty years which is thirty to forty years past normal life expectancy.
     Now we have our water back on. The pump pressure is within design parameters. Hopefully nothing else breaks. 
     Water is like electricity in that you don't really appreciate its value until you lose it. 
     Have a great week everyone!

9 comments:

  1. I hear you. I didn't realize how much I would miss electricity until we lost it for 3 days. Fingers crossed that nothing else breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly identify with your "water woes"! (see my random thought, this week) Unfortunately, like us, things wear out, don't they? I'm glad you're back in business in the water department :)
    Enjoy the rest of your week,
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got your water back! Yikes! Joyce gave us a fun and interesting Hodgepodge (again). I've been participating since June 2013. It's sure been fun and has allowed many new connections here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a more innocent time. We had a plumbing repair this week too. No fun at all, but as you say necessary. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your memories of when you were 12. I grow carnations. ;-) Mine are a heirloom variety and smell so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun memory of when you were 12. I wish I had know you then, I bet you were fun. SWMBO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carnations have a beautiful scent. Way to go in helping out your preacher. Glad you had your water line fixed. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. visiting from the HodgePodge -- thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. I had to read your profile to figure out "SWMBO" and I must admit I laughed out loud . . .at my desk! That was nice of you to help your preacher out. I'm the assistant to our senior pastor (in a large church) and I know it is good for him to be away and know that someone is taking care of things on the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment. We also started with Labrador's. We had one that we mated and she had 12 puppies. We keep one of the puppies. Talk about shedding. We too moved on to small dogs. We went with Terriers....Westies, Yorkies and now the Cairn.

    ReplyDelete