My Blog List

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A "WHERE'S MY DESK?" HODGEPODGE


     A very pleasant good morning to one and all. How about dem Patriots, eh? They are in the habit of pulling their chestnuts out of the fire and winning during the last few minutes of the game. Whether you are a Patriot fan or a Patriot hater, it is equally nerve wracking until the end of the game. Then there is either joy and celebration or weeping and gnashing of teeth. My condolences to the weepers and gnashers. 
     Today being Wednesday we get to enjoy another edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Thank you Joyce Daley for another series of writing prompts. Enjoy!

1. January 24th is National Compliment Day. Is it easy or not so easy for you to accept a compliment? Share a recent compliment you've given or received.
     We have a young man at church who recently immigrated from Nigeria with his three siblings to be reunited with their parents. He was just inducted into the National Honor Society. He is in oh so many ways a remarkable young man! I complemented him on his character and on this achievement.
  
2. Ten little things you are loving right now.
     The littles things that I am loving right now, in no particular order, are (1) that first cup of coffee in the morning, (2) music, (3) our two Chinese Crested dogs, (4) my iPhone, (5) cold, clean water, (6) my Mitchell acoustic guitar, (7) Electricity, (8) my Apple Watch, (9) banana nut muffin, (10) my computer. 
     There are a few things absent from my list simply because they are not "little." Among these are the God of the Bible, my beloved SWMBO, my children and grandchildren. There are more because I am lavishly blessed.

3. Would people describe you as a positive person? Do you see yourself that way? I read here  a list/description of eight things positive people do differently-

Positive people find something to look forward to every day, they celebrate the small stuff, they're kind, they stay busy, accept responsibility for their actions, forgive themselves, know when to move on, and resist comparisons

Which action on the list would you say you do regularly? Which action could you add to your life to give you a more positive outlook? If you're a positive person, what's something you do regularly that's not on the list?

     I am a positive person, depending on the context. I do some of the things on the list. I tend to be kind. I do take responsibility for my actions. I do move on. I do forgive myself, but that is not easy for me. I tend to be my harshest critic.  
     One thing I often do that is not on the list is I try to be encouraging to others. I believe that things can always get better. 

4. Homemade chicken soup, beef stew, or a bowl of chili...what's your pleasure on a cold winter's day?
     I'll take the bowl of chili with corn chips or corn bread. Although,a nice homemade beef stew is good as well.

5. The best part of my day is....
     ...waking up. Any day on this side of the grass is a good day.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
     I have a room in my house that has two desks in it, or so I'm told. I have begun an archaeological dig to uncover and rediscover them. You know how it is, you come home from a meeting late at night and you throw your stuff on top of your desk with the intention of putting it away later. You do this time and time again until the next thing you know your desk(s) disappear. I hope that this brief explanation gives you an idea about the title of this blog post.

    The government recently shut down for three days. Some are calling it the "Shumer Shut Down." Others are calling it the "Trump Shut Down." Once again the Kabuki Theater that is our government continues. 
      The distinguished Senate Minority Leader forgot that recorded video never forgets. Senator Shumer was recorded back in 2013 saying the exact opposite of what he was saying in 2018 regarding the use of a government shut down to advance a political agenda. He shows himself to be a hypocrite...once again.  
     The really sad part is that there are many other hypocrites in government on both sides of the aisle. May God help us!


5 comments:

  1. Never count those Patriots out! I grew up in Eagles country though and would love to see them pull off a win. That first cup of coffee in the morning is one of life's simple but lovliest of pleasures. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Joyce! Pulling for our Eagles. Have to. I'm happy to see your chili answer since most seem to prefer chicken soup. I enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with finding those missing desks :) Ed's pool table is my 'catch all' and, at times, it seems to disappear, too.
    As for our politicians...don't even get me started. I say, "Drain the swamp."
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds like a wonderful young man. Corn chips are so yummy in a bowl of chili.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patriots vs. Eagles? Reminds me of a quote from Lewis Grizzard: "The story went that once he [Bill Monday] was going to do the Harvard-Yale game back in the 30's on nationwide radio. The night before the game, he was having dinner with Harvard officials. At one point Monday, a Georgia alumnus and son of the south, was asked 'Mr. Monday, who will you be pulling for tomorrow, Yale or fair Harvard?' Monday thought for a moment, then replied, "Neither one. You're both a bunch of damn Yankees and I wish there was a way you both could lose.'"

    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete