My Blog List

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

FIRST HODGEPODGE OF THE CHRISTMAS SEASON!


     We are in the waning days of the year 2015 A.D. That's right! I said A.D. and not that C.E. crap...but I digress. Are you thinking New Years Resolutions or is it too early? At this time of year I spend most of my time doing Christmas shopping/planning or helping SWMBO with Christmas Shopping/Planning or trying to answer that annual question "What do you want for Christmas?" I always have trouble answering this question because I do not want for anything. Well, it's Wednesday so onto this week's Hodgepodge!

1. Did you watch The Charlie Brown Christmas special Monday night? Who's your favorite Peanuts character and why?
     I did not watch the Charlie Brown special on Monday. My favorite Peanuts character is Linus. He seems to have a quiet wisdom within him and you got to love his "blankie."
"Most psychiatrists agree that sitting in a pumpkin patch is excellent therapy for a troubled mind."~Linus  

Would you agree? 
     I would agree. This kind of makes my point about his quiet wisdom. Sitting alone, away from the cares of the world and the cares of your world can be very therapeutic.

2. Describe a sound from your childhood. What does this sound bring to mind? 
     The sound of a tenor voice wafting through the house in the mornings. My dad had a beautiful tenor voice and would sing while he shaved or performed some other task in his morning routine. It signified that the day has officially begun and I needed to think about getting up and starting my day.

3. You've won a trip to a winter wonderland...would that excite you? Which one of the following would you most want to experience (or which one would you dislike the least)-see the Aurora Borealis in Norway, stay in Sweden's Ice Hotel, go dogsledding in Lapland Finland, take a winter wildlife safari in Yellowstone or celebrate Winter Carnival in Quebec? 
It's the Aurora Borealis in Norway, please. It may not be exciting, strictly speaking, but it would be spectacular. I am certain of that!

4. Who or what keeps you humble? 
     My grandchildren keep me humble. If they ask you to do something with them, you generally do. It's the same thinking that no matter how big and tough you are, when a child hands you a toy phone you take the call and talk to... ? 

5. What part of preparing for Christmas do you like the most? Explain. 
     Christmas Cookies and Egg Nog! Our tradition is to have cookies and egg nog available as we decorate the house. By way of full disclosure, I have a bit of a Scrooge like attitude when it comes to Christmas preparation.

6. Gingerbread-yay or nay? Is making a gingerbread house part of your family holiday tradition?
     I can take it or leave it. Mostly I leave it so making a gingerbread house is not part of our Christmas tradition.

7. What's one thing you want to start, do, or complete before the calendar rolls into a new year? 
     Nothing comes to mind. It's not because I don't have such items, it's just that it has escaped my consciousness.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 
     Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, once observed that if you repeat a lie loud enough and often enough people will come to believe it no matter how outrageous the lie.
    I am reminded of Herr Goebbels during this time in our history when the notion is put forward with a straight face that bad weather is more of a threat than an organized fanatical militant group who repeatedly announces that they are coming to kill us and then prove their intentions by their actions. If they succeed than it won't matter how severe the weather gets because we will all be dead!
     Herr Goebbels observation is also relevant given the level of political discourse during this silly season more commonly known as the election cycle. It seem to me that our politicians are more interested in scoring debate points than they are in the truth of what ails our society.
     What is really sad is that the more news I read, the more news I watch, the more convinced I become that Herr Goebbels was right!



3 comments:

  1. Herr Goebbels was right. I agree with your #8. It is all very sad and I hope Americans wake up before the 2016 elections.

    I enjoyed reading your Christmas Season Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to watch. I wish our President could harness the passion he obviously feels for the Climate issue and direct it at the bigger more important crisis(es) facing our nation. Wishing you a happy December!

    ReplyDelete