My Blog List

Friday, June 12, 2015

PROFANING MARRIAGE PART DEUX!

     Yesterday I made some fairly strong comments about the profaning of marriage in our contemporary society. It became apparent from some of the comments I received that I ought to elaborate on a few points.
     I do not hate anybody! I do have many disagreements with the views and opinions of others, but I do not think less of them solely because their opinion differs from mine. I have sarcastically and jocularly observed that we live in a free country and people who disagree with me have the unalienable right to be wrong. I say this out of good natured ribbing and not out of any arrogance on my part.
     I opined yesterday that the joining of two same sex people is not a marriage. My intention was not to offend anyone! I understand that my opinion may offend some people nonetheless, regardless of my intentions. The fact is that marriage has always been and will always be the covenantal union of a man and a woman...period! 
     Some states have passed laws extending the same privileges and legal benefits afforded heterosexual couples to same sex couples. Whether I agree of disagree with their action, those states are well within their legal rights to enact such laws, notwithstanding the moral implications of such laws. A state law calling the union of same sex couples a marriage, however, does not make such a union a marriage. A state enacting a law calling a skunk a rose would not cause the skunk to smell like a rose, much less be a rose. 
    I also made some general comments about divorce that were upon reflection insensitive. Marriage is intended to be a lifelong commitment. However, there are some exceptions. For example, if one of the spouses commits adultery, the other spouse is free to divorce the offending spouse. 
     Also, it is entirely proper, if not necessary, for a spouse who is in an abusive relationship to separate from the abusive spouse. Depending on the circumstances, divorce may or may not be appropriate.
     I sincerely apologize for any offense or hurt that I may have caused by my comments. I have fairly strong opinions on some issues but it is NEVER my intention to cause offense when I exercise my right to express them. 
    Whether you agree or disagree, I appreciate your comments.    

1 comment:

  1. First let me say that I was not offended by anything you wrote in your blog yesterday. I think I even said I agreed with you on many points. I did not think you expressed 'hate' for anyone, SPW! I enjoy your blog posts, I respect your opinions and am glad we connected here! Blog on!! :)

    ReplyDelete