My Blog List

Thursday, April 30, 2015

"Z," I TOLD YOU SO!


Today, we complete the "A" to "Z" Blog Challenge. What a long strange trip it's been, to quote the Grateful Dead's song lyric. I started out on a journey to remember some of the people who made contributions to Rock and Roll. Some contributions were expansive and significant. Others were seemingly small but their significance were much larger.
Today is "Z" day. I could have blogged about Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa or even Zager and Evans. However, I think I will close out my series of blogs by making a plea for the arts.
I grew up listening to music, all kinds of music. In the 60 plus years that I've been circling around the Sun on this great blue marble hurtling through space, I've come to really appreciate the genius, the hard work and the creativity that it takes to create something that so resonates with the spirit and leaves such a lasting impression. I have come to appreciate the paths that my favorite artists and bands have walked to create their unique sound and to achieve their level of greatness.
I hope that through these blog posts I have been able to evoke some pleasant memories for you. I suspect that many of you are like me, in that when you hear a particular old song it brings you back to a time in your life that gave that song some significance. For example, when I hear "Sweet Home Alabama" I'm back at a U.S. Air Force Base in England sitting in a snack bar enjoying a deluxe grilled cheese sandwich. When I hear Chicago's "Colour My World" I'm at my high school prom dancing with my girlfriend who has been my beloved wife for 43 years.
I hope that you continue to listen to the songs of your life. Maybe someday you'll hear a song and before you know it you're somewhere back in time re-living a memory. May all such time travel be pleasant for you. Thank you for accompanying me on my journey through time!

3 comments:

  1. Life would be nearly unbearable without the arts! Thanks for this very fun musical throwback month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great posts, making for some interestnig trivia. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great posts, making for some interestnig trivia. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete