My Blog List

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

PEPERE NIRVANA HODGEPODGE!



1. My hubs spent last weekend pheasant hunting. Are there hunters in your family? If so, what do they hunt? Which of the following have you tasted-pheasant, rabbit, venison, duck, goose? Which of those would you most like to taste, or be most willing to taste?
    
Vegetarians keep calm and Hodgepodge on.
      My dad was a pheasant hunter. He sometimes used me as his "bird dog." I never flushed any birds during our outings but enjoyed spending the time with Dad in the outdoors. 
     As an adult I have hunted deer for many years. I am a great hunter, however, I am a lousy finder. I have only harvested three deer in the 30 years or so that I have hunted. My hunting partner has been more successful and has shared his bounty with me and SWMBO.

2. What high spot have you visited that gave you a wonderful 'bird's eye view' of something below?
     SWMBO and I recently visited the summit of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. One gets a spectacular view of Bar Harbor form the summit. Many years ago we visited the top of Sandia Mountain in Albuquerque, N.M., and had a meal in the restaurant that is located there. You get a wonderful view of the City of Albuquerque from the restaurant as you enjoy your meal and dinner conversation. It is well worth the trip.

3.  Do you have any birds in your home? These could be either real live pets or decorative, as in bird prints, knickknacks, fabric or pottery.
     I have a framed needle point of an eagle in my home office. 

4. Tell about a time you 'killed two birds with one stone'?
     I got nothing! I know there have been times when I got the iconic two-fer but nothing comes to mind as I write this.

5. Your favorite song with a bird in it's title?
     A few songs come to mind..."Fly Like an Eagle" by the Steve Miller Band; "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd; and finally, "Mockingbird" by Carly Simon and James Taylor.

6. What most recently gave you goose bumps?
     I generally do not get goosebumps. I am thrilled to sit and watch TV with SWMBO while holding hands. Yes, SWMBO and I still hold hands. 
     I love spending time with my granddaughters. Today my eldest granddaughter beat me playing "Simon Says." I am so proud!

7. Halloween is this Friday...any plans? Did you trick or treat as a child? Carve pumpkins? Share your most memorable costume.
     Halloween is not one of those holidays to which I look forward. As a child I did go "Trick or Treating" well into the night, often past nine o'clock. 
     I am not a pumpkin mutilator. However, I have carved a few pumpkins over the years as the kids were growing up. 
     My most memorable costume is one year I dressed in one of my mother's dresses. My sister attached a couple of pigtails to my hair and applied some make-up. I must have looked good too because before my night ended I was asked twice to go out on a date. I HAVE NOT dressed in drag since then. Just saying!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
     I am sorry to report that I have grown more cynical with the current state of politics today. It seems to me that both parties have lost sight of what elections are all about. I think that both parties approach elections like professional sports teams approach a big game. The political parties don't care for us, the voters. They just want to win the game. They have more loyalty to their respective party than they do to their constituents, We the People!
     The two major parties and their affiliated PACs broadcast political ads that are patently false. They deliberately lie about, or misrepresent, a position of the opposition. They take words out of context and falsely accuse each other of the all sorts of malfeasance, nonfeasance and misfeasance.
     Here is my recommendation for this election cycle. DON'T RE-ELECT ANYBODY! That's right, vote out all the incumbents. The longer they have been in office the more they should not be re-elected. THROW ALL THE BUMS OUT!...and please understand that they are all bums! Other than that I don't have any strong thoughts on the subject. 
     Please let your voice be heard...get out and vote...and vote out the incumbents!  


6 comments:

  1. "Pumpkin mutilator"- creative :). I hear you on your frustrations politically. Have a great day! #Hodgepodge

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you listen to the ads run, and then the counter ads, everyone is horrible. You wouldn't want either candidate! I'm on the lets start fresh bandwagon too. Your sport analogy is excellent...I might have to share that one. That's precisely what it feels like! We hold hands here too. Good advice to all married couples : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the story of your most memorable Halloween costume :)
    I totally agree with your random thoughts today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your three 'bird songs' and can hum all three of them. Oldies but goodies. Like some of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I feel the same way about the political ads, and I like your idea of electing all new people. To a point that is. Obviously there are some who are SO out there - and embarrassing that I could never see them in office. Watch - they will be the ones who get elected tho!?! It's a crazy world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the needlepoint of the eagle is stunning.
    Eagles are such majestic birds.

    ReplyDelete