It's the first week of school up in these parts. It's also Wednesday! That means it is time for another Hodgepodge of questions. Thank you Joyce for another fine set of posers!
1. What's something you're never too young or too old to enjoy?
You are never too old or too young to share a smile or to enjoy a hearty laugh.
2. Share one happy memory from your high school years.
On Thanksgiving during my Junior year there was a huge blizzard. Also, there was the annual "Turkey Bowl" football game with our hated rival high school. After the game, the friend of a girl who I had a crush on called me to tell me how the game went. In a bizarre twist of irony, she who is always cold, AKA SWMBO, went to the game and got chilled to the bone. He who is always warm, AKA me, stayed home, warm, and dry.
We talked on the phone for over three hours. It was during that phone call that I knew that I was going to marry that girl...and as it turns out...I did!
3. A nationwide strike of fast food employees took place in the U. S. last week...they're calling for higher wages and the right to unionize? Your thoughts?
A simple fact of economics is that businesses do not pay wages! As silly as it sounds, customers pay wages. What a business pays for labor is a cost of doing business and if that cost goes up, the price of the product(s) that that business sells must, of necessity, go up too. I doubt many people will be willing to pay $15.00 for a hamburger meal. I most certainly will not!
Lower tier jobs such as one finds in a fast food restaurant were never designed to provide a working wage, but rather provide a rung on the ladder that leads to success. It provides young people with an opportunity to develop working skills, responsibility, punctuality and similar habits that will stand them well in their future endeavors, whatever they may be.
It does not make any economic sense.
4. September is National Honey Month...what's a favorite dish you make or eat that calls for honey?
I enjoy a nice hot cup of tea with a teaspoon of honey. Other than that, I don't know that I eat anything with honey in it.
5. If you notice someone with a tag sticking out, a button unbuttoned, a shirt on inside-out, or some leftover lunch stuck between their teeth do you say something or do you keep quiet?
If I have a prior relationship with that person, or am on more intimate terms with them, I would "discretely" say something to help them avoid embarrassment. If the person is a stranger, or someone with whom I have no prior relationship, I probably would leave it to those who do to tell them about it.
6. What movie always makes you cry? Or at least makes you feel like crying?
I DO NOT CRY AT MOVIES...PERIOD! I will hand tissues to SWMBO though, because that's the kind of guy I am!
7. 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' was written in May of 1830, and published in Juvenile Miscellany in September of that same year. Now for the fun part...create your own four line rhyme using that same tune.
SWMBO hasn't shot me yet!
Shot me yet! Shot me Yet!
SWMBO hasn't shot me yet!
She likes that I'm around!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Last year by this time my beloved Boston Red Sox crashed and burned, horribly. They did not make the play offs, not even a wild card slot. This year they are in first place in their division and have been in first place most of the season. I think they are in third place in all of baseball.
The "Evil Empire," AKA, the dreaded New York Yankees, are a half game out of last place in the same division. WOOHOO! I mean..."I hate that for ya!" (Not really! I'm Loving it!)
Professional football and my beloved New England Patriots are gearing up to begin their season next Sunday. Professional Hockey and my esteemed Boston Bruins are about to begin their pre-season training camps and try again to win Lord Stanley's Cup!
It is good to focus on something besides doctor appointments, test results and on what's next,...at least for a few days!