My Blog List

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

AUTUMNAL HODGEPODGE WEDNESDAY!



1. When did you last sing happy birthday to someone? When were you last sung to? Does that embarrass you or do you enjoy being the center of attention on your special day?
     The last time I sang "Happy Birthday" to someone was about two months ago. The last time I was sang to was last April. My birthday fell on a Wednesday and at the mid-week Bible study the song leader asked everyone to turn to song number #59 in the hymnals. There was no song #59 and he announced my birthday and the congregation sang Happy Birthday to me. I was, and am always, embarrassed when things like this happen. I do not like being the center of attention.

2.  Name a famous or 'infamous' person (living or deceased) who shares your birth day and month. Is that someone you'd like to meet in person if it were possible?
     There are three people who share a birthday with me, both famous and infamous. First the infamous, Soviet Premier Nikita Kruschev who almost brought the world into World War III by placing Soviet missiles in Cuba in the early 1960's. You might have heard of the Cuban Missiles Crisis? The next two people are that great American actor, William Holden, and the author of the Pulitzer Prize winning play, "Our Town," Thornton Wilder.
     I would imagine that sitting down with any of these figures would result in an interesting conversation, particularly in light of the fact that they're all dead!


3. Someone hands you a box tied up in a lovely bow...what are you hoping to find inside?
     A jackpot winning lottery ticket!

4. What can you guarantee about yourself?
     I can guarantee without qualification or equivocation that I am a male. I can also guarantee that I am a smart ass!

5. Talking art and beautiful cities here...'The Last Supper' in the Santa Maria della Grazie Abbey in Milan Italy or 'The Mona Lisa' in The Louvre, Paris...which would you most like to see up close and in person?  Why?
     I choose Paris, the Louvre and the Mona Lisa. I choose Paris because of all the things that come with it...Art, History, Western Civilization. I also more familiar with what Paris has to offer than Milan.


6. Your favorite dessert?
     My absolute favorite dessert is Pecan Pie with a dollop of whipped cream. YUMMM!

7. This coming weekend marks the official start of autumn (in the Northern hemisphere)...what is something you do to get ready for fall? What is one thing you're looking forward to on your fall calendar? Spring or fall-which do you prefer?
     There are a number of things I do to get ready for fall. Here are three (1) Remove the air conditioners from the windows and store them until next year. (2) Remove the screen insert from the front storm door and replace it with the glass insert. (3) Store all the "yard stuff" in the sheds. One thing I look forward to on my fall calendar is deer hunting season. I am a wonderful hunter, I'm a lousy finder, but I am a wonderful hunter. I prefer the Spring because of the beating we take all winter. Spring is such a relief.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.
     My beloved Boston Red Sox played a three game series with the dreaded Evil Empire, AKA, the New York Yankees. The Red Sox swept the Yankees and knocked them out of the play offs. That is a good thing! My beloved New England Patriots have won both their games and are "2" and "0." Granted these wins weren't particularly pretty but they were Divisional Games and could become more important towards the end of the season. Finally the Boston Bruins skated against the NHL Evil Empire, AKA the Montreal Canadiens. The Bruins won in convincing fashion 6 to 0. It is good to be a New England sports fan...at least at this time it is. This, like New England weather, is subject to change drastically without notice!

2 comments:

  1. We don't have a screen door, but I remember as a kid always feeling a little sad when my dad changed out the screen for glass. Wow-your teams are all doing well. I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I'm even more not a Yankee fan so Go Sox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just made a to-do list for my husband. I added make sure the furnace is ready to go as well.

    ReplyDelete