My Blog List

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

PRE-AUGUST HODGEPODGE


1. Share one way you think the world has changed for the better since you were a kid?
     In one word, technology. The level and sophistication of technology that is available to the average citizen is most remarkable. For example, the level of computer power that powered the Apollo Space Program is available in a simple Mac Book Pro laptop computer. Not to mention smart phones, international video chatting, photoshop, and on and on and on.

2. How 'bout one way it's changed for the worse?
     In a word...technology! With all out gadgets and gizmo's that were designed to improve our ability to communicate with one another has, ironically, done the exact opposite. Many modern folk are incapable of conversing with another human being unless there's a keyboard involved. The art of conversation is dying. So sad...

3. Starlight, starfish, starling, Starbucks...your favorite 'star'?
     There is nothing better than looking into a cloudless night sky on a crisp, cold winter night. The billions of stars, the constellations, and the far way galaxies are breathtaking. So, Starlight...definitely!

4. Name a song that's overplayed, but you love it anyway.
     Earworms...those songs that you hear and just cannot get them out of your head. No matter what you do you are consigned to hear them bouncing around inside your head for the duration of the day. One such song for me that I do like is Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger."

5. When did you last have home made ice cream? Your latest favorite flavor?
     It has been years. I think we were at a church ice cream social and several members brought their ice cream makers and we had a party. My favorite ice cream is watermelon sherbert.

6. What do you think is the best way to inspire or motivate people?
     Al Capone is alleged to have said "More is accomplished with a kind word AND a gun than with just a kind word!" People are motivated and inspired when you lead by example. When people see you live out in your own life what you profess to others what you believe, that can inspire and motivate others to do likewise. The most notable example is Jesus Christ. 

7. When was the last time you were without power?
     I've been without power since July 1, 1972. I married SWMBO and apparently lost all power to her at that time. If you mean electric power, we lost power for a few days last winter. Thank God we have an auxilliary generator!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
     "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." (John 8:32These words were spoken by Jesus Christ to His disciples more than 2000 years ago. While He was praying in the Garden before His crucifixion He prayed to His Father "Sanctify them in your Word. Your Word is truth." (John 17:17)
     Our Lord tells us that there is such a thing as "truth." He further asserts that God's Word is "truth." 
     I believe that there is such a thing as objective truth. I further believe that our national leaders have failed miserably to tell us, their constituents, the truth on a host of issues. I am becoming more disenchanted with our elected representatives.
     I further believe that if "WE THE PEOPLE" don't begin to hold them accountable then the further existence of this grand experiment, our constitutional republic, is in dire trouble.
     When the president refers to scandals as being "Phony" rather than honestly addressing the problems that gave rise to these scandals and holding the people responsible accountable, then we are in serious trouble as a society. I am becoming more disenchanted with my president.
     There is a Christian Hymn that keeps going through my mind these days. "This world is not my home, I'm just passing through." The song speaks of an eternal home that is our promised destiny. The implication is that we ought not concern ourselves too much with the affairs of this world. We ought to focus on our eternal home in Heaven.
     My prayer today is that God will raise up God-fearing, ethical, men and women who love and respect truth to take up places of leadership at all levels of our society. I pray that respect for the truth would once again become important across this great Nation. God Bless America!
     

3 comments:

  1. Ha-loved your answer to the power question : ) I too pray for ethical leaders...I think we've got to take money out of the equation when it comes to campaigns. If you're not a multi milliionaire you will never make it, and I think a lot of good, hard working, experienced, bright people who run businesses, etc fall into that category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i love your power answer ;)
    it is sad how technology has a down turn on conversing with others face to face. ;/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been without power since December of 1980 when I was baptized into Christ. It is not I, Christ liveth in me.

    ReplyDelete