My Blog List

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE!

   

     Our friend Joyce has come up with another set of thought provoking questions! Why don't you join in on the fun?


1. Share one fun thing you did last week, while the Hodgepodge was on 'spring break'.
     SWMBO and I went out to dinner to celebrate her birthday. We went to the Copper Door Restaurant  in Bedford, NH. SWMBO and I love that place. It's worth the time to check it out if you're in the area.

2.  April 10th is National Sibling Day...do you have siblings, and if so are you close? Share a favorite story featuring one or all of your siblings. If you don't have siblings, did you ever wish you did?
     I have an older brother, an older sister, and three step siblings. I'm closer to my brother than I am to my sister. Years ago when we were children we were taking turns hitting a tire swing with a baseball bat. My brother, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, swung at the tire like he was splitting wood with a maul. The bat hit the tire, bounced back and hit him dead between the eyes almost knocking his running lights out. I still laugh at that incident to this day. Of course, he doesn't see the humor!
     
3. Is it important to you to 'buy American'? Why or why not? How much of an effort do you make to 'buy American'? If you're not American, insert your own country in the blank. 
     I try to buy American when I can. Buying American saves jobs for our fellow citizens and usually American goods are superior in quality.

4. Besides The Bible, what book has impacted your spirituality in some way?
     Bonheoffer by Eric Metaxas. Deitrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran minister who was killed by the Nazis. He wrote a christian classic about the cost of discipleship. Bonhoeffer remained faithful to Christian principles to his death. A fine example for all of us!

5. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes.  Do you find rainy days calming or depressing?  When were you last caught in a rainstorm? What's blooming in your neck of the woods today?
     I find rainy days both depressing and calming, although not at the same time. It depends upon what's going on in life at the time. I can't remember the last time I got caught in the rain. The crocusses are up, not blooming. Tree pollen is blooming judging by my sinuses!

6. What's your favorite yellow food?
    I love banana's and spaghetti squash!

7. April is National Poetry Month...what's a poem that holds special meaning for you, and why is it special?
    I don't really have a special poem. Song lyrics are poems though, right? There are two songs that have made an impact on me...COLOUR MY WORLD by Chicago, and A MAN I'LL NEVER BE by Boston. The first one is SWMBO and my special song. The second one expressed how I was feeling at a painful time years ago in my life. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
     This week the world lost two remarkable women! Annette Funicello, the paragon of innocence, Mouseketeer and Beach Blanket Bingo star. She waged a valiant struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and lost her battle this week.
     The second is Lady Margaret Thatcher, former British Prime Minister. Lady Thatcher was the paragon of strength, self confidence and conservative thought. She was one of the most influential political figures of the 20th century.
     May they both rest in peace! The world is a better place because of them. May God grant their families a measure of peace during this difficult time.

8 comments:

  1. I always loved Annette Funicello in her movies. My cousin in law has MS and I support their efforts every way I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. MS is a cruel, devastating disease. I wish your cousin-in-law all the best!

      Delete
  2. I love spaghetti squash and "Colour My World" by Chicago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Not many people remember Colour My World by Chicago. Glad to hear from a kindred spirit!

      Delete
  3. Pollen levels are sure up and I do love our song! Eating out with you is always fun, no matter where we go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you wonderful coments and for sharing my life!

      Delete
  4. I agree I try to buy American if I can! Cost is an issue though. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonheoffer is on my to-read list! Hope you're having a good weekend...nice to see you in the HP!

    ReplyDelete