My Blog List

Friday, October 8, 2010

THE BLESSINGS OF FAMILY

      Tonight I had the distinct pleasure of meeting my niece's soon to be in-laws. They're from San Antonio, Texas. They are Bill and Mary. Bill is a retired pilot from the U.S. Air Force. They seem like real nice people. I really enjoyed meeting Bill and Mary and getting to know them a little.


    I got to thinking about my family. I have an older brother. You can blame him that I'm still around. Even though I gave him ample opportunity and reason to remove me from the planet while we were growing up, he chose to let me live. I can't tell you how much love and respect I have for him. He is really a terrific person and a great big brother. 
    
    The family is the bedrock foundation of society. It has been well said "As the family goes, so goes the society." Those of us who are middle aged remember the examples of traditional family; Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, June and Ward Cleaver, The Anderson's (Father Knows Best). Each family had a strong male at the head of the family, a strong female partner/helpmate, raising children in the security and context of a loving relationship.
     The families of those halcyon days lived according to similar moral values. There were things that were viewed as being clearly right and there were things that were viewed as being clearly wrong. 
     The "right" things such as truth, integrity, self reliance, hard work, and responsibility, were encouraged. The "wrong" things such as falsehood, dishonesty, dependency, laziness, irresponsibility, were discouraged.
     When a family member ran into hard times, the other family members would rally around them and support them. No government program needed...or wanted.


     In modern times many believe that there is no such thing as objective truth. Many also believe that there is no standard of morality. They believe that everything is relative, dependent upon what you "chose" to believe is right or wrong. Take a look around you and take a close look at what is going on in the world today. How's that working out for us?


     What is "Truth?" What is "Moral?" What is clearly "Right?" What is clearly "Wrong?" Are there any standards? Think about it! 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment