My Blog List

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

TRIGGER WARNING: B.W.A. HODGEPODGE!



     Have you been watching what is happening across our beloved Nation? One of our liberties, our freedom of speech, is under attack.  There are those who hold the notion that perceived offensive speech is equal to violence and that it is appropriate to meet such offensive speech with physical violence.  What has happened to the principle..."I may disagree with what you say but I will defend your right to the death to say it."  
     We have no such problems here at the Wednesday Hodgepodge.  It seems to me that opinions are expressed without reservation and are respected by all. Without further delay, here is this weeks hodgepodge.

1. What's something you'd rate a 10/10? Tell us why.
     One of the few things that I enjoy in the winter is on a clear night, looking up at the stars. I never fail to be in awe of the awesome sight of the billions of stars strewn across the black sky. That is something that I rate at a 10/10 in my humble opinion.

2. What job would you be terrible at? What makes you think so?
     I would be terrible at being a groundskeeper. I absolutely hate yard work and have to really motivate myself to get it done here at our (in our own mind) palatial estate.  I also don't have much talent for groundskeeping.
  
3. When did you last take a fall? What's something you're falling for (in a good way) these days?
     Last winter I was walking down our driveway to our mailbox and hit a snow covered icy patch and unceremoniously fell to the ground.  Not only my pride was hurt.  That was the last time that I took a fall.
       I do not have an answer to the second part of this question. We are in the "pumpkin everything" part of the year up here in the Granite State. I like pumpkin pie and perhaps a pumpkin spice coffee once in a while but not to the extent that it proliferates at this time of the year. Although, come to think of it, it is apple picking season. I love a nice juicy Cortland apple with a piece of sharp cheddar cheese. It is one of my favorite snacks at this time of the year.

4. According to the Travel Channel here are some of America's best fall festivals-

National Apple Harvest Festival (near Arendtsville PA, close to Gettysburg), Harvest on the Harbor (Portland Maine), German Village Festival (Columbus Ohio), Wellfleet Oyster Fest (Cape Cod), and Wine and Chile Fiesta (Santa Fe NM)

Have you ever been to any of the festivals listed? Which one appeals to you most? Does your hometown have any sort of fall celebration, and if so will you make it a point to attend?
     I have not ever been to any of the harvest festivals listed above. I'm not really a harvest festival kind of person. I am not opposed to going but they hold little appeal to me.

5. What is your goodbye message to summer?
     Well Summer, until next year. Thank you for enough water to keep our wells full. Thank you for moderate warmth for the most part. SWMBO thanks you for the days of the hot and muggies. I thank you that they were not excessive this year. All in all you have been good to us this year. If you happen to run in to Old Man Winter, please ask him to be kind to us this year and to go easy on the snow fall and to keep the freezing rain to himself. Take care Summer, I look forward to your return.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
     TRIGGER WARNING: B.W.A...Blogger With Attitude! The Bill of Rights gives us the unfettered right to say whatever we want to say.  It especially protects that speech which is deemed to be vile, obscene or offensive.  There is a significant body of  U.S. Supreme Court decisions affirming our right to free expression, particularly unpopular speech.
     On many college campi if you want to express an opinion in public you must do so in a designated "free speech" zone and only in a free speech zone. If a speaker is invited to speak at some colleges at the invitation of a college group and that person happens to hold "offensive" views, demonstrations breaks out and to avoid an unpleasant incident such as violence or outright riots, the speaker gets disinvited.
     These are just two examples of what is transpiring at colleges across the country. Both of these things are an affront to and a violation of our constitutional rights. These things must not be allowed to stand.
     To make matters worse, if a person is going to speak and their views may cause some angst to their hearers, trigger warnings are given and a safe space is provided where students can go to avoid the trauma of hearing challenging views.  This is outrageous!
     Therefore, I for one will continue to be a B.W.A. and I will continue to be as offensive as I want to be. God help us!



6 comments:

  1. Yep, we've entered the realm of the truly ridiculous in terms of what is happening on college campuses and beyond. Carry on B.W.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God help us indeed. I agree with you 100%. Carry on BWA! Oh, Cortland apples are my absolute all time favorite and enjoying one with cheese (or peanut butter!) can't be beat!! I miss apple orchards...the one thing I still miss from "up north".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the BWA abbreviation and your answer to #5. I agree that we are all entitled to hold our own opinions and sometimes we pander to the "Politically Correct" camp too much but words can be powerful tools and sometimes we need to be wise in the way we use them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice, lenghtly comment. What a cat story! We've have had cats who liked to sleep under the hood, as well. One lost part of his tail, but that's a better ending than your story. Some have taken unwanted rides to places unknown, as well, because of being stowaways.

    I agree with your random thoughts! Preach on! Our son (who is training to be a pastor) works on a large university campus. It's pure torture for him because of his beliefs and their "unbelief" and the ridiculous ideas being taught there. Heaven help us all!

    I hope old man winter will be kind to you and SWMBO :)

    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will trade you our summer. Shoot, our winters get pretty cold here, too. This past winter, all 3 days of it, we actually had a blizzard. It snowed for all of 15 minutes. We thought we would be snowbound for sure. However, none of it made it to the ground. Hope you have a mild winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes definitely the stars are 10/10! Gosh, I can't get my husband in the house....he loves pruning the yard. I bought a pumpkin creamer that I'm enjoying right now.

    ReplyDelete