My Blog List

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

BACK TO SCHOOL HODGEPODGE!


     Have you seen where the Summer went? It was here just a minute ago! Here we are the day after Labor Day already. 
     In a lot of places the new school year has commenced. Parents are rejoicing everywhere! I hope that everyone has a productive and wonderful school year. I pray for our teachers and the Herculean task that they have trying to fill the young heads full of mush with valuable information under less than ideal circumstances.
    It is of course Wednesday and therefore it is time for another set of probing questions that is the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Thank you Joyce for another fine set of questions. Enjoy!

1. When you think about your future what do you fear most? Hope for the most?
      When I think about the future I fear the continued deterioration of common sense AND common decency. What I hope for the future is that the character and selflessness on display in southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana in the wake of hurricane Harvey would become so common place that it is no longer noteworthy when it happens.
    
2. September is National Chicken Month. How often is chicken on the menu at your house? What's a favorite dish made with chicken? What's something you're a 'chicken' about doing or trying?
     We really like chicken at our house. We have chicken, on average, once or twice a week. A favorite chicken dish is Chicken Pot Pie. 
     Something that I am "chicken" about doing or trying is skydiving. I have never seen the positive side of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. In my humble opinion only two things fall out of the sky...bird crap and fools, and Mama didn't raise no fool.

3. What are three things you don't own but wish you did?
     I really do not want for anything. SWMBO and I are fairly content with our lives with one or two exceptions.  So, in no particular order of importance I would like to own (1) a portable ice maker. Our freezer is often too packed with food to use ice cube trays. It would be nice to be able to make our own ice as we need it.  (2) A large weather tight storage shed. We would like a safe and secure place to store summer furniture and other seasonable stuff for the winter. (3) A BluRay DVD player. It seems everything is coming out is on BluRay these days.

4. Would you rather be a jack of all trades or a master of one? Elaborate.  If you answered one, which one?
     I would like to be a jack of all trades. It would be great if I do things for myself that I now have to rely on others for. It would be equally as nice to be able to share these skills with those who might have need of them.

5. Ketchup or mustard? On what?
     I like both, depending upon the food. I use mustard for Ham, Hotdogs and Bologna sandwiches. I like ketchup on meatloaf, roast beef, french fries and onion rings.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
     I mentioned in my introductory remarks above that the school year has begun. I am reminded that our founding fathers strongly believed that our citizens ought to be well educated. They believed that all citizens should receive instruction on the U.S. Constitution, how our government is organized and what was the intent of that organizational paradigm. Citizens should understand the limits imposed upon, and the specific powers granted to, the federal government. Citizens should also understand the power of the individual states and individual citizens.
     Another area that needs to be brought back is a course in life skills. These are the skills everyone needs to be able to take care of themselves. Some of the skills needed are basic cooking, basic sewing, laundary, money management, basic housekeeping and manners. 
     I believe that if all students were well educated in these two areas, as well as the basics of Math, Reading, Writing, History, and Geography, and other disciplines, we would not have as many problems in our beloved Nation that we now have. 
     God bless our teachers and their students as the new school year begins.


3 comments:

  1. You are so right about basic life skills. During my senior year at the University of South Carolina (THE USC), I was a dorm senator. At the beginning of one semester, a freshman came to me to ask, "How do you get food?" I gave him a map of all the campus dining halls. He said, "No, I mean you and your roommate have food in your rooms, when are they going to bring mine?" This boy had never been in a grocery store. I took him to Food Lion and he was amazed at all the choices. We introduced him to Pop Tarts. He had never had them.
    Thanks for the kind words about Texas. #WhartonStrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put a stand alone ice maker in this house and I love it. We use it often to fill the cooler for the boat especially, but it's also nice when we have a houseful of guests. I fear with everyone grabbing their news in snippets via social media we've forgotten (or just gotten lazy) how to think for ourselves. Lots of sheep these days. As horrible as these natural disasters have been they do restore a bit of hope for humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skydiving is a great answer! I should've thought of that because I feel the same as you about it.
    Love, love, love your random thought!!! I agree 100%.
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete