My Blog List

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

THANK YOU MR. JUSTICE ANTONIN SCALIA !


      Today, we in the northeast are recovering from a multi-precipitation weather event. It started as snow, then went to sleet, then to freezing rain and now to just rain.  I wish Mother Nature would pick just one! Preferably not snow, sleet or freezing rain. 
     Today being Wednesday, it is time for another essay question test from our friend at This Side of the Pond, Joyce Daley. I urge you all to join in. You will meet many fine people who are regular Hodgepodgers. Enjoy this week's offering.

1. February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day. It lands on the calendar one day after National Do Something for a Grouch Day (February 16) which somehow feels related. Perhaps the 16th inspired the 17th?

Tell about a time you performed a random act of kindness or were the recipient of one. Will you make an effort to perform a random act of kindness on the 17th? Share details if you're so inclined, and if you have something specific in mind.
     I always try to perform a random act of kindness every day.  It stems from my time as a boyscout, "Do a good turn daily." It is also part and parcel of the Christian life to show kindness daily. I open doors for women. I allow other drivers to merge into traffic in front of me. I say "Please, Thank You, and Excuse Me" when the situation calls for them. I look for opportunities to be helpful and kind. 

2.What's the most uplifting or encouraging thing you see happening in the world right now? You may have to dig deep for this one.
     SWMBO and I know a man who emigrated to the U.S. from Nigeria, leaving his four children behind in the care of his sister. He is trying to reunite his family by bringing his children over this summer. A Go-Fund-Me page was started in his name. His plight was further mentioned on a few Facebook pages. In less than a few weeks people stepped up and contributed over twice the amount that he said he needed.  It is encouraging to see people caring for their fellow man in a real and tangible way.

3. Black olives, black currants, black grapes, black beans, blackberries, Oreos...your favorite food the color of night? Your least favorite on the list?
     My favorite food on the list is Oreos followed by blackberries. My least favorite is black olives followed by black beans.

4. A while back I read (here) a list of twelve things you should do before you turn 50. They were-
travel when you have the chance, take care of your skin, learn a foreign language, make exercise a habit, leave a toxic situation, stop caring what others think about you, stop worrying, volunteer, spend time with your grandparents, pledge to work less, learn to cook an amazing dish, and seize an opportunity as it arises

What do you think of the list? What would you add or remove and why? If you're over 50, have you done all 12? If you're not yet 50, have you done any at all? What's on the list that you haven't done, but would like to do?
     I think all of the items on the list are worth doing regardless of age. I stopped caring about what others think about me a long time ago. I generally don't worry about much. I grew up with my maternal grandparents. I never knew my paternal grandparents. I have learned how to cook a few dishes from my grandmother. Depending on the circumstances, I do seize opportunities.  I have let some slip away. I don't fuss over my skin much. I could/should develop a more consistent habit of exercise.  I generally don't get involved in toxic situations.

5. Besides the classic Christmas flicks, what's your favorite film where winter plays a part in the setting?  
     One movie would be "Fargo."  On behalf of my granddaughters I submit "Frozen." Another film I like is "Chronicles of Narnia; The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." I really like the writings of C.S. Lewis.

6.When did you last feel helpless, and what did you do about it?
     When you have a loved one who is ill with a chronic serious disease you feel helpless alot. Often, the only thing that you can do is pray. That is what I do when I feel helpless.

7. Share a favorite proverb. 
     "The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; The one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin." (Proverbs 13:3-4)

8. Insert your own random thought here.
     Last Saturday our country lost a great man. Antonin Scalia, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, died unexpectedly of a heart attack in the State of Texas. Justice Scalia was one of the greatest legal scholars and had one of the greatest legal minds in out nation's history.
     Justice Scalia was a devout Roman Catholic and tried to live what he believed. He loved debating points of law with people who disagreed with his positions. One of his best friends is Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Her views are mostly diametrically opposed to his and yet they enjoy a fondness and respect for each other.
     Justice Scalia believed that our Constitution was not a living document, but rather a legal document which means what it says. That belief drove many of his opinions.
     Justice Scalia will definitely be missed. I thank God for Justice Scalia's service to his country and to the law. May he rest in peace!




7 comments:

  1. Bless you for your daily kindness. The world would be a better place if more people shared your sentiment.
    That's a good proverb, one we'd all do well to memorize.
    You are so right, living with a loved one who suffers from chronic illness does make one feel helpless. Sometimes I think it's hardest on the one who's standing by, watching. (Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your answers today. I thinking praying when you feel helpless is the greatest thing to do. I, too, liked Justice Scalia. He had the greatest sense of humor. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your answers. We share the same taste in the foods! Was interesting to read your comments on the Judge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your random comments regarding Justice Scalia. His presence will be greatly missed. As always, I enjoyed your answers to Joyce's queries. I'll miss you next week, with no Hodgepodge to post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting for someone to say Frozen : ) I agree with your comments on Justice Scalia. I am not hopeful we'll replace him with someone as skilled as he was in getting to the heart of the law. I'm in SC so it's full on crazy here right now. The primary is Saturday, but we voted absentee since we're out for the day and didn't want to miss the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frozen :-)) Yes, that is a good one.
    I loved what you wrote about Justice Scalia. Well said! Our family is in deep prayer for the upcoming election. It is something I try to not get my boys to worried about, and remind them, it is in God's hands. Sometimes that is hard.
    Have a great week, see you in March. ;-)

    ReplyDelete