My Blog List

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

WAIT 'TIL NEXT YEAR HODGEPODGE!


     Here we are near the end of the first month of the new year. Today being Wednesday, it is time for another series of probing questions from our Hodgepodge mistress, Joyce Daley, from This Side of the Pond. Please join in on the fun. You'll meet many new and interesting people who are also Hodgepodgers. In any event I hope that you enjoy this weeks edition of the Hodgepodge.

1. Share a winter memory from your childhood. 
     When I was a young boy we had a typical northeaster snow storm. We constructed a ramp of snow from the back yard of the house accross the street from where I lived. The ramp went around the side of the house, over two walls and down the driveway. We took turns sliding down the ramp. Once the ramp got packed down and smooth we could slide from the back yard all the way to the street, about 200 feet. What a great ride!

2. What was on your blog this time last year? (Besides the Hodgepodge of course!) If you weren't blogging, what in the world were you doing with all that free time? 
    I have no idea what I was doing with all my free time. Other than the Hodgepodge I wasn't blogging much.

3. Ellen Goodman is quoted as saying, 'We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential.' 

Do you see more flaws or more potential in your life at the start of a new year? Have you done anything specific this month to address either one? Does the new year truly begin for you on January 1, or is there some other month of the year that feels like a fresh start and new beginning?
     I generally take a positive view and see more potential at the start of a new year. I also see my flaws and try to correct them throughout the year. Like the calendar, the new year begins on January 1st.

4. Who's an athlete you admire or respect and why?
     My favorite athlete as a young boy was Frank Malzone. Frank played third base for my beloved Boston Red Sox and wore number 11. He had the fastest throw from third base to first base in the Major Leagues at the time. He was everything a young boy could look up to and admire and emulate. 
     Sadly, Frank passed away recently. All his contemporaries and the current players who knew and spent time with Frank corroborated my opinion of the man. Today's athletes could learn a lot from Frank's example!

5. Do you like cream in your coffee? Whipped cream on your pumpkin pie? Cream cheese on a bagel? Sour cream on a baked potato? Cream of wheat for breakfast? Have you ever had a scone with clotted cream? Of all the creamy foods mentioned, which one sounds most appealing to you right this very minute?
    I'm going with cream in my coffee. I am not a fan of Cream of Wheat at all and I don't know what clotted cream is. Other than those two, I am a fan of the remaining cream references.

6. Where were you last kept waiting for 'hours on end'? Or for what felt like hours on end? How well did you cope?
     I don't recall a specific incident, but I do a fairly good job in anticipating when there's a potential for a long wait. I alway's have reading materials and a supply of music on my cellphone to keep me occupied. 

7. Believe it or not, when next week's Hodgepodge rolls around it will be February. Huh?!? Bid adieu here to January in seven words or less.
     See you next year, same time!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
     My New England Patriots have fallen short of their goal of returning to the Super Bowl this year.   The Denver Bronco's were the better team on Sunday and deserved to win the game. It was a great game and my Patriots fell short by only two lousy points.  Oh well, life moves inexorably onward! Wait Til Next Year!


6 comments:

  1. The ramp sounds awesome! We were happy with a Bronco win, and now we live in Panther country so I'm excited for the match up. We used to watch Peyton way back when he was a young Tennessee Vol, so we'll be rooting for them to win. I like both teams though and hope it's a good game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ride on the ramp sounds like a blast! My kind of fun! Better luck next year to your Patriots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ramp ride sounds awesome! We had 11 miles of lake to skate on, but no real hills for sledding. Never thought of trying to build one! We were happy with the Bronco's win AND NC's win. Two good teams and hopefully an exciting Super Bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your winter memory! That ramp sounds awesome.
    I'm sorry about the Patriots loss. So close!

    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your winter memory!! My boys would love to do something like that. :-))
    I am sorry for the Patriots. I was cheering for them. I like your Patriots head coach and I think Tom Brady is one of the best QB's!

    ReplyDelete