My Blog List

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

TON'S OF WOOD PELLETS HODGEPODGE!


     This is the time of year that like the proverbial squirrel storing nuts for the winter we gather wood pellet fuel. On Monday SWMBO and I had a delivery of a ton and a half of wood pellet fuel, 75 forty pound bags. It's a lot of work to un-pallet them and stack them in the garage. At least SWMBO will be warm for most of the winter. Being Wednesday, it is time for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. I hope that you enjoy this week's edition.

1. October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?
     I have seen the trilogy and found them to be entertaining. In the fall of 1985 I was in the fourth year of a 30 year law enforcement career. My kids were 12 and 9 years old respectively. SWMBO worked as an Nurse's Aid in a nursing home. Wow! That was thirty years ago, a half a life ago!

2.  If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?
     I am a History buff so I would love to travel to the past to observe some of the great events of history. I would love to see Jesus in person, seeing His miracles or watch Him interacting with the crowds. I'd love to be at the grave and see the resurrection first hand. There are so many historical events that I would love to witness. Definitely, travel to the past. The future will take care of itself.

3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass).  Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good? 
     Technology is growing at an amazing rate. I think that we can't keep up with it's demands now. We apparently do not have the wisdom to appreciate the unintended consequences of our technical advances. I don't know if the internet does more harm than good. One thing is certain with regard to technical advances is that it does not take long for someone to find a way to pervert such advances, not limited to the internet,  for evil.
  
4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food?
     SWMBO makes a pork chop chilli that is absolutely the best. The longer it cooks the hotter it gets. I guess my favorite fast food is a burger & fries. Burger King is my preferred drive through.

5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now? 
     All of the above, depending on the day and the time of day!

6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?
     I'm going with drive-in theaters! As kids we'd dress in our jammies and sit in the back seat to watch the movies. Inevitably I fell asleep before the end of the second feature. There was always a double feature.

7. Describe your comfort zone.
     Sitting on the couch with SWMBO and the fur babies watching a movie.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
     Winter is rapidly approaching here in NH. A lot of New Englanders strongly dislike winters but would not be happy living anywhere else. Winter is the price we have to pay for the privilege of enjoying the other three, fabulous seasons. Even in winter, New England has a beauty and a charm like no other place around the globe. 
     

4 comments:

  1. We had an old drive-in theater near the home we just sold in northern NJ. The theater was across the state line in NY, but we enjoyed going. It had a real family feel, and everyone brought lawn chairs to put beside their cars, and we even brought our pup. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, 30 years was a lifetime ago! A lot of things have changed since then.
    I love your memories of the drive in movies. I never went as a child, but we took our own children many times. I was sad when they tore our drive in down, but I didn't think of that for an answer.
    I hope you and SWMBO stay toasty warm, this winter. Those pellet stoves are neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still have a drive-in theater that runs the same movies as the other two 18-screen theaters. I also have great memories of going to the drive-in when I was a kid. I enjoyed your answers! Please ask SWMBO if she will share her pork chop chili recipe with us!!

    ReplyDelete