This week we celebrate the 239th birthday of America. We are still young as nations go. We apparently still have some growing up to do. We are a decent and noble people despite our flaws. We are often the first on the scene to bring relief to victims of natural disasters. We give of our means to help those who are less fortunate. So I say Happy Birthday America...your best days lie ahead of you! Enjoy this week's Hodgepodge!
1. On Saturday July 4th America celebrates her Independence. (If you're not American, feel free to answer in terms of a national holiday in your own country) What is your favorite thing about the day? Your favorite food on the 4th? Do you fly a flag at your house? Fireworks-yay or nay? Any special plans this year?
My favorite thing about Independence Day is remembering the words penned by Thomas Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence. These truths are self evident...All men are created equal....Endowed by their Creator with unalienable rights. Mr. Jefferson had some amazing rhetorical skills. My favorite food is the traditional BBQ fare. Sadly, we do not fly the flag...I'm not sure why. Fireworks is a big Yay! We have no special plans this year.
2. What's something you recently got for free?
I recently got a free iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts. I participate in the Perks program where we earned various rewards for being participants.
3. The Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, The Washington Monument, or Mount Rushmore...how many on the list have you seen? What is your favorite historical American monument, and why?
I have seen the Statue of Liberty and the Washington Monument. I would like to visit the other two someday. I am a real fan of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C. I am a real fan of Thomas Jefferson. His passion for defending liberty has always appealed to me as does his intellect and writings. He wasn't a perfect man! I think that he was a good man!
4. When it comes to the news are you more ostrich (stick my head in the sand) or hog (they have room to take a whole lot in)? How much attention have you given the recent news reports regarding ISIS and the acts of terror they've perpetrated against those who do not share their beliefs or support their cause?
I listen/watch news programming often. I try to keep up on current events. I am amazed at how history tends to repeat itself. I have been keeping abreast of ISIS and our government's lack of response to the existential threat that they pose to us here and abroad. I am troubles by our president's lack of recognition of the threat that ISIS poses not only to America but the rest of the world as well. ISIS is evil out of the very pit of hell and ought to soundly defeated and removed from the planet. I believe that we will live to regret not confronting this evil sooner.
5. We're talking plain ice cream...vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? Choose one.
Give me vanilla! If we're out of vanilla, then strawberry! If we're out of vanilla and strawberry, I'll have a piece of apple pie!
6. Share a song you love containing the word 'stars' in the lyrics or title?
I am going with "Good Morning Star Shine" by Oliver! It's a happy song that always lifts my spirits, especially when I sing along at the top of my lungs!
7. Describe and/or say goodbye to June with an acrostic.
Before you go, and go you must!
You melted us, you chilled us, and rained all over us...
Enjoy your time away until we meet again next year...wait!
What's that sound...are those fireworks I hear?
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today, my beloved SWMBO and I celebrate the completion of our 43rd trip around the Sun as man & wife! I am a real fan of marriage as many of you already know. I have been married to a really remarkable woman who has enriched my life every day of our time together. How anyone could live with me for 43 years without shooting me in the head, given the fact that she is trained and quite capable AND has had sufficient provocation to get away with it, is beyond me! I am really grateful for each day that we get to spend time together.
Marriage is a special and beautiful covenantal relationship created and blessed by God when done God's way. . .SWMBO and I are living proof! Also we are not unique in this regard. There are many other couples who honor God's design of marriage and have endured together as long as we have, and even longer in some cases. Again, when marriage is done God's way it works and is a blessing.
So, my Immortal Beloved, I love you with every fiber of my being and I thank you for 43 extraordinary years and here's to many, many more!