My Blog List

Monday, February 10, 2014

TIME FLIES WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FUN!



      IT'S BEEN 50 YEARS since the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan variety show. The Ed Sullivan show was a staple of my family's Sunday evening television viewing regimen. My family was not unique in this regard. Many times I would hear my parents talking with relatives, neighbors or friends about what had been on a recent Ed Sullivan Show or what was going to be on the next Ed Sullivan Show.

If you were a professional singer, comedian, musical group or novelty act appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show often made your career. The Ed Sullivan Show was very popular among the television viewing and gave the aforementioned professional entertainers national, if not worldwide, exposure. An appearance on this popular show often made one's career.

In 1964 an upstart musical group from Great Britain took America by storm. Four men, John, Paul, George and Ringo, arrived with great fanfare. Their plane was met at the airports by screaming crowds of young men and women straining to catch just a glimpse of these British invaders. Their motorcades were often surrounded by screaming, adoring fans. Security had to be extremely tight because their followers would go to amazing lengths to breach security and try to get into their hotel rooms.

If you're a Beatles fan, this week's retrospective, of the initial assault of what came to be known as the British Invasion, was pleasantly nostalgic. I am a Beatles fan, especially of their early music up to and including "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." Their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show gave them worldwide acclaim. The influence of their music continues to influence popular music like few bands have done before, or since, their arrival on the scene.

2 comments:

  1. I too remember sitting in front of the TV watching all the acts on the Ed Sullivan show. It was a clean show that we could all watch without blussing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shockingly, I'm more of a Beach Boys guy than my better half Margaret - who is definitely a Beatles fan! I think I have four Beatles songs in total on my iPod.

    ReplyDelete