My Blog List

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

ANOTHER FRICKIN' SNOWY DAY HODGEPODGE!


     As I copy over this week's Hodgepodge questions it is snowing in the Granite State again. I think that we have had just about enough snow for one winter! I am running out of room in my driveway to place all this white stuff. Yuck! Well, thanks Joyce for another batch of questions. Enjoy this week's Hodgepodge and leave a comment. Better still answer them yourself!

1. What's the biggest change since your childhood in the way people think or act?
      One of the biggest changes is the lack of respect for authority. As a child if a teacher reported to my parents that I was not completing my work or I was misbehaving, my parents would take corrective action with me. Today it seems that parents hire a lawyer and sue the school district for having the temerity to hold their child accountable.
     Another change is how people interact with police officers. Over the past couple of weeks several NH police officers were assaulted in the line of duty. It used to be a fairly rare occurrence, particularly in NH. However, it seems to be happening with more frequency. 
     Neither one of these happenings bode well for society.
 
2. The Olympic Biathlon involves cross country skiing broken up with either two or four rounds of target shooting. Which part of that would stress you out more? Or would you love them both equally?
     I would be more stressed out about the skiing part. I have never been on ski's and have never had the urge to learn how to ski. I love the shooting part because I like to shoot and have some skill as a shooter.

3. February is National Canned Food Month...what is your most often purchased canned food item?  What was in the last can you opened?
     The most frequent canned good purchase is either vegetables or soup. The last can I opened was two cans of tuna so that I could make my special tuna salad recipe. SWMBO loves my tuna salad.

4. What river (anywhere in the world) would you most like to cruise?
     I would like to cruise the Danube River in Europe. I think that the historical impact that river has had on the development of civilization, art, etc. would appeal to me.
  
5. It's the middle of the night and you can't sleep...what do you do? Count sheep? Toss and turn? Watch television? Or do you get up and do something productive?
     If I can't sleep I generally turn on the TV and channel surf. Other times I get up and try doing something productive like reading a book or working on a sermon or Bible Study.

6. How important is keeping your cool?
     Keeping ones cool is very important. I have learned through experience that ones ability to think clearly and react properly goes down as emotions and temper goes up. This is particularly true in stressful situations. People are better able to perform during emergencies if they can maintain a calm demeanor.

7. I've got white stuff on the brain so why not run with it? White lie, wave the white flag, white knuckle it, white wash a situation, or white as a sheet...which phrase could most recently apply to your own life in some way?
   "Wave the white flag" definitely. I surrender to winter! Enough with the snow carpet bombings! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
     At the beginning of winter most people look forward to the first snow fall. When it happens they cannot wait to get out and play in the white stuff. As the winter progresses the appeal of a fresh snowfall tends to abate. By this time of year, after ALL the snow we have received, the number of these people diminish. I think that the majority of people just want the incessant snow to STOP! 
     However there are those "certifiably nuts" people who relish more snow. These people are CRAZY! They will argue that snow is beautiful and is lots of fun to play in. THESE PEOPLE ARE NUTS! 
     I am running out of room in my driveway. Many more snow storms and SWMBO and I will be snowbound until spring. I will be shovelling snow until June at this rate. So after serious reflection I have come to the conclusion that winter should..."DIE WINTER, DIE!!!! Other than that I have no strong feelings on the subject!



3 comments:

  1. I have given in to it this year, and am trying to see the beauty. We've certainly got more than enough, and freezing rain at the moment which is not good. They had to close the schools here today to inspect every roof as some tiles fell into a classroom yesterday. Fortunately the room was empty. I see 'my' cardinal in the backyard every morning and I've come to think of him as a promise that spring is coming. I love tuna salad...what's in yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we haven't had a lot of snow for the south, it's been more than enough for me! So beyond ready for SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week, we've had a glimpse of spring in our neck of the woods. I hope it makes its way to your house soon! Hang in there!

    I enjoyed reading your answers today.

    ReplyDelete