My Blog List

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

JANUARY THAW HODGEPODGE!



     We are experiencing a warming trend called the January thaw. The temperature climbs into the balmy 40's or the sweltering 50's. It never ceases to amaze me how warm the 40's feel after a few days with highs in the teens or low 20's with windchill temperatures well below zero. 
   Well, it is Wednesday and it is time for another set of probing questions from our friend Joyce from "From This Side of the Pond." Enjoy!

1.  Are you a force to be reckoned with? In what way?
     Generally, not so much, but in a few specific situations, absolutely. What I mean is I don't have to get my way in most of the things that crop up in my life. I don't dig in and fight many battles because at the end of the day most things are really not worth fighting about. However, were my beloved SWMBO or our children or grandchildren be threatened, I am definitely a force to be reckoned with. 
     
2. What are two things you love about the wintertime? Or, if love feels like too strong a word, what are two things you 'like' about winter? 
     One of my favorite things to do on a clear, dry, cold winter night is to stargaze. The sky looks so spectacular on such a night. It is awe inspiring. A second thing I like is just after a snowfall, the ground looks so pristine and beautiful. Also, all is quiet as if the snow muffled all sound.

3. Pomegranate, kumquat, persimmon, kiwi, and guava are all fruits said to have health benefits, particularly during the winter months. Do you have a favorite on the list? Are there any on the list you haven't tried? 
     I don't have a favorite from the given list of fruits. I have tried Pomegranate and Kiwi. I can take them or leave them. 

4. I passed a local church yesterday and noticed they had this on their outdoor sign- 'When all else fails, do the right thing.' Your thoughts?
     I believe that we should always try to do the right thing in the first instance. Doing the right thing is not a fall back position. To do otherwise is like "You're not trying if you're not cheating." or "It's only wrong if you get caught!" As a Bible believing Christian I believe we are called to do the right thing always.

5. Do you ski? According to one list I've seen, the top 5 ski destinations for 2014 are-St. Anton Austria, Whistler Canada, Cortina Italy, Tahoe USA, and Zermatt Switzerland.  Of the five listed, which would you most like to visit? We can make skiing optional if that helps the non-skiers with their answer. 
     I am not a skier. I have never been tempted to try. That said, I wouldn't mind visiting Switzerland or Austria. I wouldn't mind watching other people ski from the cozy warmth of a chalet while sipping a hot chocolate.

6.  What's the last thing you looked for online? (Besides my blog!)
     The last thing I looked for online are pet friendly hotels in the Lebanon, NH, area. SWMBO and I and the fur babies will be spending a few nights in a hotel when they try to harvest her stem cells for a possible stem cell transplant in the future.

7. What saying, slogan, quote, or motto have you seen lately that inspires you for the new year?
     "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:6,7)

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 
     The NFL Super Bowl is once again upon us. I love the Super Bowl because it is the first death knell of Winter. It is a reminder that Spring is just around the corner. The next death knell of winter is when the Red Sox pitchers and catchers report for spring training in Florida. The final death knell is St. Patricks Day. We can still be whacked with a snow storm but the odds are increasingly in our favor that we will not.
     Winter is the price we must pay for the privilege of enjoying the other three seasons here in New England. It is a price worth paying. 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love a winter sky too. I think it is a gift God gives to help us endure the frigid temps. One of my favorite verses...a good one to commit to memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will sit by a fire and watch other ski with a cup of coco in my hands any time love.

    ReplyDelete