My Blog List

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

WOO HOO! IT'S WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE!


1. Have you learned more from success or failure? Explain.
     I have learned more from failure than I have from success. The simple reason is that I have had more experience with failure than I have with success. I suspect that I am not alone in this. Often from many failures comes tremendous success. Consider Thomas Alva Edison. He tried using over a thousand metals before finding tungsten to create the light bulb. Does failure ever result from success? I don't think so!

2.  What did you call your grandparents when you were growing up? If you have children, what do they call your parents? If you have grandchildren, what do they call you?
     I never knew my paternal grandparents. They both died before I was born. However, as a boy we lived with my maternal grandparents. I called them "Memere" and "Pepere." My grand kids call me "Pepere." I love hearing them call me Pepere! My heart just melts!
  
3.  You're invited to a luau.  In keeping with that theme, what dish will you bring to share? 
     I think that if I was invited to a luau I would bring some grilled ham with pineapple slices and a stir fried rice and vegetables dish.

4. Besides Jesus, what one person's life story do you think everyone should know about?
     My choice would be Thomas Jefferson. He was a scholar, a gentleman farmer, an inventor and a founding father. He served as President of the United States. He was the U.S. Ambassador to France. He was the primary author of the Declaration of Independence and his writings on "Liberty" are particularly relevant today. Thomas Jefferson is definitely one of my favorite historical figures.

5. "Don't sweat the small stuff." Agree or Disagree? Why?
     I Definitely agree! It never ceases to amaze the amount of negative energy people expend over "Small Stuff." I learned throughout my law enforcement career to not sweat the small stuff. Given SWMBO's and my current circumstance more things have been added to the "Small Stuff" list. There are greater issues and life, so it is good advice to not sweat the small stuff. We will be more content and healthier if we diligently follow that advice.

6.  June is National Rivers Month. When were you last on a river? What's the prettiest river you've ever seen? What's a river you'd like to see? 
     I grew up practically on the shore of the Merrimack River in Massachusetts. I spent many days fishing and playing along the river. The coldest water I ever experienced was during a trip to Yosemite National park. We took a raft trip down the Merced river. The water was crystal clear and colder than the north Atlantic Ocean off the coast of New Hampshire. The Ausable Chasm in upstate New York is a beautiful work of nature. I would like to cruise the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes.

7.  Speaking of rivers-paddling, fishing, swimming, or bird watching safely from the shore? Which activity would you choose? Yes-you have to choose. 
     Truthfully, my answer is all of the above. However, you did say that I had to choose so I choose fishing.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
     My thoughts are with the residents of Texas, Oklahoma, and other states where severe weather has caused such widespread devastation, injury and loss of life. My heart goes out to them! My prayers go out for them! 
     I am heartened to see neighbors helping neighbors. Churches are mobilizing to provide support and assistance with the recovery. Americans are giving of their means, their time, and their skills to abate the level of suffering, to mitigate the amount of loss and to provide physical and emotional comfort to perfect strangers for no other reason than that those stranger are hurting and but for the grace of God, it could very well be them.
      Despite our many flaws, Americans are a noble and generous people! This fact is never more evident than in times like these. God bless America and hasten the recovery of all those who have suffered loss.

2 comments:

  1. Oh since you have the meal plan for the luau, how about one this weekend! Your meal sounds good. Oh wait, it's suppose to rain this weekend again! I so agree with how so many Americans are stepping up and helping, it speeks so highly of the American Spirit that we don't need the Government to make us help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-I'm just catching up on reading today, and wanted to let you know your link in the HP doesn't seem to be working. I came here by typing in your blog name. Just fyi : )

    I'd like to see the St. Lawrence...hubs and my oldest daughter went on a school trip to Quebec (he was a chaperone) and they got to see it then.

    I too love seeing the outpouring of practical help, prayers, and support neighbors give neighbors and strangers alike. The weather has been particularly harsh this year.

    Keeping you and your lovely wife in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete