My Blog List

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A LENTEN HODGEPODGE



     Welcome to the month of March 2017. How is your year going so far. As for me, it could be a lot better. If you have read my blog posts you know to what I am referring. Seeing, however, that our friend Joyce Daley has gone through the trouble of coming up with another set of Hodgepodge questions, perhaps I should get busy and try to answer them. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge....

1. 'Slow and steady wins the race'...tell us about a time this was true in your own life. 
     There have been several periods of my life where this phrase was true. For example, when I began my law enforcement career I also went to college. Slow and steady was definitely the order of the day. Married life is another area of my life where this phrase applies. Finally, my beloved SWMBO's battle with cancer is a race where slow and steady applies. 
     This phrase is the other side of the coin from "Haste makes Waste."
2. 'As slow as molasses'...Do you like molasses? How about maple syrup? Caramel? Butterscotch? What's your favorite of the slow moving treats mentioned here, and what's your favorite food made with that sweet treat? 
     I don't care much for molasses. I do like maple syrup, caramel and butterscotch. My favorite is maple syrup and my favorite food would be a hot stack of pancakes with maple syrup lavished over them.

3. Your favorite slow song? 
     Our favorite slow song is "Colour My World" by Chicago. That is our special song.

4. Your favorite thing to make in a slow cooker or crock pot? 
     My favorite thing is Beef Stew. SWMBO makes a terrific Beef Stew in the crock pot. She also makes a superb Corn Chowder.
5. 'You may delay, but time will not.' ~Benjamin Franklin Are you more a hurrier or a delayer when it comes to unpleasant tasks that need doing? What are you currently either delaying or hurrying to get through this week or month?
     Mr. Franklin's statement is axiomatic. I am not a hurrier, which drives SWMBO absolutely nuts. I am delaying completing my taxes for the year.

6. Tell us three things you encounter regularly or even just occasionally that you find to be annoyingly slow.
      Three things that are annoyingly slow are: (1) Retail Tire Shops take forever to install new tires. (2) Grocery check-out lines. Our store has about 15 checkout lines, but only two or three are open at any one time. (3) Healing from an injury or getting over a cold or flu.

7. March is National Craft Month. Are you crafty? Tell us about something crafty you'll try in the next thirty one days. Or something crafty you'd like to try or wish you had the skill to make happen. 
     I am not crafty but SWMBO is. There is no craft that I plan to try in the forseeable future.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
     Major League Spring Training has begun. The Red Sox look like they have improved, judging by the few games I've seen so far. Winter is dying and that's good. The Celtics and Bruins are playing fairly well also. Could another Boston champion be in the making? Could be! 
     SWMBO is still having a rough time recovering from her stem cell transplant. She is still in the hospital as of this writing. I am not sure when she is projected to come home. As far as I'm concerned, it cannot be soon enough. Your continued prayers are very much appreciated.



7 comments:

  1. I'm a tax procrastinator too. There's just nothing that is exciting or rewarding about doing taxes. Sorry to hear about your wife's recovery from her stem cell transplant. I hope she is able to come home soon. Will keep her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of happy to read I'm not alone in putting off the tax organizer. It seems to be a common theme in today's answers : ) I'm so sorry your sweet wife is struggling so. I have her in my prayers, and you too. Hoping she turns a corner for the better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you 100% regarding grocery check-out lines...they are so SLOW! Now that our Wal-Mart has installed many self check-out lines, there is no real need for cashiers, anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there are EVER enough check out lines open. It's rare not to have to wait in line!
    I'm still praying for Lynn Marie, and hope she will be feeling better, soon. I know you miss having her at home.
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reminder....Haste makes waste! My husband waits until the very last moment to do our taxes. I'm still praying. I'm sorry that she is having such a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more about the grocery lines. My slow and steady response today also has to do with transplants. I hope you will read and be encouraged. I hope your wife will be home with you soon, but whatever it takes to get her well and that may be slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers continue for your SWMBO. Beef stew in the crock pot is SO delicious! Makes the house smell amazing too!

    ReplyDelete