My Blog List

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

A MAY DAY WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE!


    On May 1st the Soviet military prades through the streets of Moscow showing off their vast array of armaments to bolster the confidence of the Russian people that their military is well prepared to protect them from any invaders as it protected them from the Nazi invasion of World War II. 
    Every Wednesday Joyce Daley parades a series of eight questions to bolster the writing skills the Wednesday Hodgepodgers. Here is this week's edition!

1. What's something fun you're looking forward to on your May calendar? 
     Taking my beloved SWMBO out to eat at one of her favorite restaurants for Mother's Day.

2. What are some images that come to mind when you hear the word mother? 
     It depends on the context. It can mean the woman who brought you into the world or it could be half of a perjorative and vulgar term depending on who is saying it, how they're saying it and in what context. 
     That said, I'm sure Joyce meant the former. I was blessed with two mothers. The lady who birthed me passed away when I was in the 5th grade. My Stepmother came into my life years later and never tried to take my birth mother's place but made significant contributions to the man I have become.  I was doubly blessed.

3. What's something beautiful you own or have seen that's made of glass? 
     I literally have nothing of the sort. SWMBO has a few things.

4. Was today typical? If not what made it unusual? 
     Today is fairly typical. I drive SWMBO and the "Littles" (Our two little dogs) to work and daycare respectively. I return home and do some writing on my Facebook page. I do chores around the house. I pick up SWMBO and the Littles from work/daycare and drive them home. Meals are prepared, dogs get fed. We settle in for the evening. Like I said, fairly typical.

5. What is a quality you wish you could have more of?
     I wish I had Vision, the ability to see how certain decisions would play out in the near and far future.

6. What's the next major purchase you need to make? Will it happen in the month of May? 
     I think that we might have to purchase a new vehicle, but probably not in the month of May.

7. What responsibility/job/work did you dislike while growing up but has proved helpful to you as an adult?
     I am certain that there were a few but nothing comes to mind.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
     One of my hobbies is that I play guitar. Now when I say I play guitar I mean that I know a number of chords and strum as I sing words to the song, sometimes the song I'm actually playing! Normally I would play until the tips of my fingers became calloused. Then I would put the instrument away for months or years. Then I'd get the urge to start playing again and so I'd begin playing again. I began playing again about six weeks ago.
     I have three acoustic guitars. My oldest and dearest is a Hohner acoustic I bought sometime between 1977-1980 in Louisiana. I call this one my Louisiana Guitar. It still has a sweet resonant sount. My next oldest is a Mitchell MD-100S which I bought in 2011 after I retired from my law enforcement career. The Police Association gave me a few bucks as a gift so I bought a guitar. I call it my retirement guitar. My third guitar I received as a birthday gift last month. It's an Epiphone electric-acoustic guitar. I call it my birthday guitar.
     I have taken to playing one of them for a week or so and then swap to another. I've been doing this for about three weeks now. I'm currently playing the retirement guitar. Some of the songs I play are like old friends stopping by for a visit after a long absence. Other songs are just fun to play because of the chord progressions. I am thankful for the gift of music and for my guitars. SWMBO says that she likes hearing me play. I think that she's just being kind because the dogs seem to have the opposite opinion. My musical philosopy is..."Never Let Music Get In the Way of Your Playing!"



3 comments:

  1. Good morning! I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge and especially learning about your guitar playing. I'm sure you are better than you let on here. SWMBO would not lie to you! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I knew you played the guitar. I do not have a musical bone in my body, unless loving it counts. Happy Mother's Day to your SWMBO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like nothing better than listening to someone play the guitar! Ed tried it for a few weeks, but grew tired of it, quickly, because it made his fingers sore...
    I hope you and SWMBO have a pleasant Mother's Day.
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete