My Blog List

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

COLDER THAN A WELL DIGGERS SHOVEL HODGEPODGE!



1. What's your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I'm asking for a friend.
     Make God an integral part of your marriage. Love each other as He loves you. Forgive each other as He forgives you. Care for each other as He cares for you. It is simple, however, it is not easy. God bless and good luck to the newlyweds!

2. Before we're too far into the new year I wanted to post a question Teresa submitted during the December giveaway. Teresa blogs over at Being Refined As Silver, so everyone go say hi.

Teresa asks, "What were you doing on December 31st, 1999?"and "Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?"
     As I recall I worked that night. I was tasked with watching our computer server at work to see if it transitioned into the new year without any glitches. Interestingly enough it did. 

3. According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn't a word. It's the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that's not a word be the most used word, but I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?
     I agree with Joyce's puzzlement that the word of the year isn't a word but a symbol for a word. I don't know which word I used the most. "SWMBO" comes to mind because I do talk about her a lot. "God" is another for the same reason. "Bugga" is another word I use a lot. I used to use less appropriate words to express anger, disappointment or dismay. I changed to the innocuousness of "Bugga" usually expressed in three's like "Bugga! Bugga! Bugga!" This is not to be confused with the similar sounding British vulgarity. I certainly do not mean to say anything remotely like that.

4. Speaking of words, it's that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and -nation (a suffering sports suffix).

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
     As a matter of principle I don't want to banish any words. One of the most odious things to be foisted onto the American people is Political Correctness. I have the right to be as offensive, as crude, as insulting as I want to be. You are under no obligation to listen to me. If you find my choice of words unacceptable then you are free to walk away or you may try to persuade me that my choice of words is improper for the occasion or venue but I will never allow anyone to censor what I say or write. Other than that I have no strong feelings on the subject.
     Having said that, any words which are acronyms like "bae" or which are truncated like "cra-cra" strike me as nonsensical. I'm okay with the other words on the list.

5.  January is National Hot Tea month? Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day?
     I do enjoy a nice "cuppa tea" from time to time. Having been Stationed in England with the Air Force exposed me to proper tea. PG Tips is my favorite. I take mine with a smidgen of sugar and sometimes with a little cream too. I don't have a favorite tea cup or tea pot. If I did they'd take away my "Man Card." 

6. Whatever happened to________________________________?
      Personal Pride in a Job Well Done? It seems that manufactured products which used to be well made are less so. I recently had the starter replaced in our car. The thing lasted a day and a half. It was replaced free of charge but that's hardly the point. I was talking to a friend who is in the auto parts business and he told me that a lot of parts sold to consumers are defective and that what happened to me is not so unusual. That's a sad commentary on the state of manufacturing today.
    
7. What is one book on your must-read list this winter?
     I already read it. It's called "American Sniper." It's the story of Chris Kyle who was a Navy SEAL Sniper who did four combat tours of duty and was so effective at his job that there was a bounty on his head by the enemy. My next book is going to be "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. He was a Navy SEAL also and was the only survivor of a Taliban ambush in Afghanistan. I really admire and appreciate our Special Operation Warriors. Navy SEALS are at the top of that list.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
   This year the church began a journey of reading through the Bible in two years. We opted for two years because the readings consist of being 1 - 3 chapters per day which fits in with most people's busy schedule. You know the old question "How do you eat an elephant?" The answer is one bite at a time. This year we are doing precisely that, eating that elephant of reading through the Bible one bite at a time. We're fourteen days into it and so far so good.
     Another advantage of this method is that you have time to focus on what is being said and often new insights jump right off the page. Sometimes you see new things in passages you have read many times before. It is well worth the effort.  



2 comments:

  1. I read Lone Survivor, and enjoyed it very much! What a story!!! I could hardly put the book down until I finished it! (The movie wasn't nearly as good, to me.)
    I have the book American Sniper, too, but haven't read that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubs read American Sniper and really liked it. I've heard the movie version is good too. I didn't read Lone Survivor, but saw the film which was well done. Good luck with your Bible reading plan.

    ReplyDelete