My Blog List

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

SUMMER 2014 HODGEPODGE!


          It is the end of July 2014 already. The older I get the more quickly time seems to go by. Well, it's Wednesday and it's time for another Wednesday Hodgepodge. Thank you Joyce for another set of thought provoking questions.

1. "Summer is like childhood. It's full of warm memories and gone too soon."~Kellie Elmore  Agree or disagree? Share something you loved about the summers of your childhood.
     I totally agree. Summers were filled with pick up baseball games, family vacations, family swims in the local lake, exploring a nearby river and going on adventures with your group of friends. 
     One of my favorite things to do during the summers was after supper Dad would load us and a few of our friends in the car and he'd drive us to a nearby lake. We would swim for a couple of hours, often with Dad joining in on our water games. Fun times!

2. Are you a fan of auto racing-NASCAR, Indy, Stock, Grand Prix, etc? Ever been to a race in person? Any desire to do this?  Do you know a lot about cars? Do you notice particular makes and models when you're out and about?
     I am NOT a fan of any of the motor sports. I did work a police detail at a NASCAR Race a couple of times. I did get to witness the start of a race and a few laps. It was way too loud and got boring after a while. I don't know much about cars but I do notice the various makes and models as I drive hither and yon.

3. What's something you think is too serious to be joked about? Or do you think anything and everything is fair game?
     I don't think that anything is off limits from a joking point of view. However the context and time may be inappropriate. We often deal with serious or painful situations with humor. Appropriate humor often soothes pain and helps quicken healing. Like the book of Ecclesiastes teaches "There is a time for every purpose under heaven."

4. July 29th is National Lasagna Day. Are you a fan? Do you have a great recipe, and if so where did it come from? If given a choice would you choose a plate of lasagna or a plate of spaghetti?
     I love Lasagna! SWMBO makes the best Lasagna I have ever had. I don't know where she got her recipe but it is stupendous. If given a choice between Spaghetti and Lasagna I might go either way. I like them both.

5. What's a simple pleasure you'd miss if it were not a regular part of your life?
     I would miss going out to dinner at a restaurant with SWMBO. Eating out is one of our favorite things to do. We love having a meal without the fur babies present, focusing on each other for an hour or two. 

6. If you could be the CEO of any company, which would you choose?
     I have no idea! I'm really not the CEO type. I'm more of a "2nd Banana" type of person, a middle manager kind of thing.

7. August is just around the bend...bid farewell to July in exactly seven words.
     July, our time together was too brief!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
     Last week my Random Thought was on the theme that truth matters. Truth matters in all areas of life, none more so than our spiritual life. There is a truism that I find compelling "We are not bodies that has a soul, but rather we are souls that has a body." 
     Here are three truths that really matter. First, GOD EXISTS! There is overwhelming evidence that shows that God exists. Belief if the God of the Bible is reasonable and rational. I would commend the book "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" by Dr. Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. They make this point so much better than I can.
     Second, the Bible is true, that is, it is what it purports to be-the inspired Word of God. The Bible was written over a period of about 1500 years by 40 different authors from varying backgrounds. Bible prophecy has been 100% accurate and 100% fulfilled with the exception of prophecy concerning the end times and Jesus' second coming. However, those events will unfold as prophesied.
     Third, Jesus is the Messiah spoken about in the pages of the Bible. Jesus was crucified and rose on the third day. The historical fact is (1) that His tomb was empty. (2) The religious leaders conspired with the guards who were posted to secure the tomb to put forward the narrative that Jesus' body was stolen by His disciples. (Matt 28:11-15) People don't conspire to tell the truth about something. All the religious leaders had to do to prove Jesus did not rise is to produce the body. Also, (3) Jesus was seen by many people after His resurrection. At one time as many as 500 people saw him.
     So these are just three truths that matter. There are many, many more. Please take the time to check them out for yourself. You will find the truth if you honestly and sincerely look for it. It is well worth the effort. May God bless you in your search! 




2 comments:

  1. After reading the HP today, I'm really wishing Italian food was on my dinner menu : ) Lots of happy summertime memories shared today. They've been nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your summer memories. Simple times are the best!

    I hope SWMBO is feeling well enough to go out to dinner with you :)

    ReplyDelete