My Blog List

Friday, August 12, 2011

INVASION OF THE GAGETS! ! !

My beloved SWMBO absolutely loves gadgets. I call her my "Gadget Queen." She loves every type of gadget imaginable, mechanical, kitchen, electronic or other type. If it's a gadget and does something, anything, useful in a cute or unusual way, SWMBO wants it.
SWMBO is not content to only get gadgets for herself, she feels compelled to make me her "Gadget King."
It all started way back when, when we bought our first computer, a Commodore 64. We had lots of fun with it even though we didn't have internet access. I don't think the internet was even available back then. We bought a dot matrix printer so we can word process. Next came the Commodore 128 and we were living large then. Around that time the internet began to be accessed by the general public. Do you remember CompuServe?
We next bought an Apple MacIntosh computer. It had megabytes as opposed to kilobytes of memory and processing speeds heretofore unheard of! With floppy disks and auxiliary drives storage capacity was virtually, pun intended, limitless. After that came the I-Mac with much more memory and much faster processing speeds. We have been Mac Users ever since.
One birthday I surprised my beloved SWMBO with an I-Pod Nano with 4-gigabytes of capacity. She absolutely loved it. It wasn't too long though until she exceeded the storage capacity with music downloads from I-Tunes. So I bought her a bigger I-Pod called the I-Pod Touch with 8 Gigabytes of storage capacity. The Touch was also able to run something called "Applications" or "Apps." These Apps ranged from word processing to a multitude of games.
SWMBO decided that I needed to upgrade from an I-Pod Nano to and I-Pod Touch, too. She dragged me, kicking and screaming into her gadget world.
Then a couple of years ago we decided to buy each other something called an I-Pad with 32 gigabytes of memory. More capacity for an ever increasing number of Apps, many of which are free and compatible with the I-Pod Touch. As a matter of fact I am writing this blog entry on my I-Pad.
I am told that there is more computing power in the I-Pad than what was used to launch the Apollo Spacecrafts. The mind boggles at the amount of technology that is available to the average person. The mind boggles further at what technology will become available to the average person in the near future. I am sure my Gadget Queen will keep us on the cutting edge!

1 comment: