For reasons that escape me, I decided to clear out the garden old growth and weeds and plant vegetables this year. I had the bright idea of constructing raised beds out of pressure treated wood. I had to repair the fence around the garden by replacing rotted/missing wood and rusted fencing. Between clearing the old vegetation from the garden and around the outside, roto-tilling the soil, placing the raised beds where SWMBO and I wanted them, hauling loam/compost mix from the front yard to the backyard garden, filling the raised beds and at long last planting/sowing our vegetables....whew! That's a lot of work! Who knew!
One interesting thing that made me go "Hmmm!" I found a dead hawk among the dead vegetation. One of its talons had a death grip on the fencing. I have no idea how it died or how it ended up in my garden, but there it was. It was difficult extricating the talon from the fence.
Here are some photo's or our handiwork...
|Raised beds, weed block, before fence repairs.|
|Raised beds with weed block!|
|We put hay down to retain moisture and further block weeds.|
If anyone has any tips, advice, suggestions on how to be successful please forward them to me! I have a lot to learn! May God bless our efforts with a bountiful harvest! Enjoy the heat wave!