My Blog List

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Cost of Liberty!

   The founders of our great nation observed that it was self-evident that we were endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights. They went on to say that among those rights is Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Some of their writings warn future citizens that they needed to be vigilant in safeguarding their liberty. Thomas Jefferson stated explicitly that the cost of liberty is eternal vigilance. 


   Americans have been known for their rugged individualism. Americans had a reputation for live and let live, I mind my own business and you mind your own business. Americans are also known for their compassion and generosity. Though we don't want to intrude into other peoples' lives uninvited, we are eager and willing to help in times of trouble.


   In recent years some people have taken it upon themselves to use the full force of government to intrude into and control other peoples' lives. They pass laws affecting people's use of legal products, like tobacco for example. They make laws that mandate the use of bicycle or motorcycle helmets because it safer to ride with them than without them. I believe that this runs counter to the principles espoused by our Founding Fathers. I believe that such laws infringe upon our God-given liberty.


   Each of us has a duty to live our lives responsibly. Should we fail to do so we should be allowed to experience the natural consequences of our actions...in short we should be allowed to fail. People argue that by implementing laws as mentioned above we are more secure and therefore happier. "Anyone who would exchange liberty for security will have neither security nor liberty." Benjamin Franklin


   We gain access to other people's live by invitation only. So long as my exercise of my liberty does not infringe upon your exercise of your liberty, what I do, how I choose to live is no one's business but my own. I will answer to my Creator for how I choose to live my life. Incidentally, you will too. Government govern best that governs least. The cost of liberty is eternal vigilance!

No comments:

Post a Comment