My Blog List

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

IT'S GONNA BE A HEAT WAVE



     Good morning fellow Hodgepodgers and non-Hodgepodgers alike. I cannot believe how quickly a week passes by but, boy, do they quickly pass by! 
     The latter part of this week is suppose to be a scorcher up here in the Granite State. Temperatures are forecast to be in the high 90's with an increase in humidity. My beloved SWMBO will be happy AND comfortable while the rest of us will be like the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz...M E L T I N G!
     Thanks go out to Joyce Daley at "From This Side of the Pond" for our weekly hodgepodge of questions. And now, without further ado...the Hodgepodge!

1. Security or freedom? Can you have both? Explain.
     Yes! I believe that you can have both, security and freedom. Our country was partially founded on that principle. Our founding fathers believed that both could exist simultaneously.  
     The U.S. Constitution was enacted to preserve the blessings of liberty for all Americans. The fourth amendment of the Bill of Rights specifically states that all Americans have the right to be secure in their possessions, papers, houses and effects from unreasonable search and seizure. It requires that a warrant issued by a judge based upon a showing of probable cause before any search can be lawfully conducted.
     Benjamin Franklin rightly observed that any people who surrenders their liberty for security will have neither. 

2. If you could visit any historical American site what would it be? Why?
     I choose Washington D.C. I choose our nation's capital because it is just chock full of American History. I love the plethora of historical buildings and monuments. I believe that you can spend months in that city and not run out of places to visit. Many places would require several visits. Yep! That is my choice!

3. Free as a bird, free reign, be free of, free enterprise, free trip, walk away scot free, free for all...which 'free' phrase can best be applied to your life in recent days or weeks? Explain.
     I will go with "...be free of! "  My beloved SWMBO and I recently refinanced our mortgage and were able to use some of our equity to off load some significant debt that we were forced to accrue due to having to do major repairs to some of our house systems, etc.

4. Something in your frig that's red? Something in your house that's white? Something in your view that's blue?
     Where does Joyce get these questions? Well, here goes...there are RED bell peppers in our refrigerator vegetable drawer. We have a sheer WHITE curtain in our living room's picture window.  I have a BLUE cell phone case on the table beside my easy chair where I am typing this answer. 

5. July 27th is National New Jersey Day. Have you ever visited The Garden State? If so where did you go? Are there diners where you live? Have you tried Taylor Pork Roll? Do you like to play Monopoly? Salt water taffy-yay or nay? How do you feel about shopping at the mall? Springsteen, Sinatra, or Bon Jovi-you have to pick one.
     I briefly visited the Garden State in 1974. I was transferred to the United Kingdom for a new duty assignment for the U.S. Air Force. I flew out of McGuire Air Force Base in Burlington County, New Jersey. 

     I have never tried Taylor Pork Roll. Yes on Monopoly and yay on the salt water taffy question.
     We do have several diners in our area. One of the most popular diners is called the Red Arrow Diner. It is always crowded and is open 24 hours a day Friday-Sunday.
     I don't mind shopping at the mall if it is not too crowded. Musically, I'll go with Bon Jovi. However, I am a little surprised and disappointed that you neglected to also list the "Jersey Boys," A.K.A. The Four Seasons.

Raise your hand if you know why these add-on questions are appropriate on National NJ Day.

      Picture me with my hand raised.
    
6. Insert your own random thought here.
       Now for a brief trip down memory lane. When I was in High School I had a crush on a certain female classmate. Unfortunately for me, she was already engaged to be married. 
     She had a friend, however, to whom I came to be seriously attracted. This girl had high standards. I knew that because she could not stand me. She did eventually fall prey to my charm and did come to fall in love with me and after three marriage proposals from yours truly, she finally said yes.
     Forty six years and two children later we are more in love, more devoted to each other, than those two crazy kids back in High School. You know her as my beloved SWMBO. We celebrate our 46th Wedding Anniversay this Sunday, July 1st.
     A Godly marriage is one of God's greatest blessings. I have been lavishly blessed. Happy Anniversary, my immortal beloved!
     Have a great week and a safe 4th of July Holiday everyone!


6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers and had my comments in mind but then read your random and--how sweet are you?! That was just lovely and Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers!! Happy anniversary and yes, the Four Seasons are awesome!!! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerry, I read your Hodgepodge often and it never fails to either put a smile on my face or inspire me in some way. Speaking about SWMBO, how you met and fell in love reminded me of my husband & I. Our introductions were as freshmen in HS. We started a relationship as Sophmores and as they say, the rest is history. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to DC but hope we can visit soon. It is on my bucket list! I loved the movie Jersey Boys!! Happy Anniversary. We were married June 24, 1972. We did however have a six year separation/divorce but remarried June 24, 1989.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will travel anytime, anywhere, with you. You are my partner in crime always. Love you.

    ReplyDelete